This is not about the American Dream or a Horatio Alger story. (Does anybody remember him?) Nor is it mythmaking. It's made of sterner stuff than that....
Without a doubt if Union broke we would have had wars between Northern and Southern states. Without a doubt America wouldn't have become a power, as it is today. That doesn't excuse Lincoln ignoring the Constitution nor does it excuse the rise of the all powerful Federal Government. As to WWII, WWII was direct result of WWI not being finished... it basically was WWI part 2. The main reason why WWII happened was as a result of our involvement in WWI, which broke the stalemate. While we do not have a ways to be check any of the "What Ifs", it is very doubtful that Hitler would have rose to power without the Versile treaty and the whole culture that arose due to the "Stab in the back" believes in Germany. So as far as we are concern
Every schoolchild with enough smarts and curiosity to get beyond the latest video game of "Call of Duty" ought to go see "Lincoln," the movie, and check out the references and his own attention span. It requires patience, but it shows through dramatic action how a self-taught rustic from the deep backwoods had the emotional and intellectual discipline to overcome poverty and grow up to be a president to rank among the greatest.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Kochs’ next dastardly deed: Creating good public defenders for low-income accused Mary Katharine Ham 10 hours ago
- Reading the early voting tea leaves: Republicans closing the gap Mary Katharine Ham 10 hours ago
- White House to red-state Democrats: Don’t blame Precious if you lose Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- ISIS mortar shells now landing in Baghdad’s Green Zone Noah Rothman 12 hours ago
- SCOTUS to consider police searches of hotel registries Jazz Shaw 12 hours ago