This is not about the American Dream or a Horatio Alger story. (Does anybody remember him?) Nor is it mythmaking. It's made of sterner stuff than that....
If anything the Jim Crow which arose because of the Civil War, have done more to damage the community, and to keep blacks as virtual slaves, then the decade or two that Slavery would have existed if allowed to die on its own. Nothing can excuse Slavery, NOTHING! At anytime that one person takes over freedom of another, a great evil has been committed. That said a greater evil, that was done by Lincoln and his successors to the Union is still an evil, one that can not be justified.
Every schoolchild with enough smarts and curiosity to get beyond the latest video game of "Call of Duty" ought to go see "Lincoln," the movie, and check out the references and his own attention span. It requires patience, but it shows through dramatic action how a self-taught rustic from the deep backwoods had the emotional and intellectual discipline to overcome poverty and grow up to be a president to rank among the greatest.
- Jolly win has Dems worried about ObamaCare … messaging Ed Morrissey 9 minutes ago
- Video: Obama warns Russia of “cost” in Crimea Ed Morrissey 49 minutes ago
- Did Flight 370 continue for four more hours in flight? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- McClatchy: White House hiding 9,000 documents from Senate probe of CIA Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Video: President shops at Gap same day his party loses bellwether election in swing state Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago