This is not about the American Dream or a Horatio Alger story. (Does anybody remember him?) Nor is it mythmaking. It's made of sterner stuff than that....
I agree completely. There is a lot of good that one can say about Lincoln, such as that he was a very good leader, a very compassionate man, a self made man, etc... however that doesn't change the fact that he was the one who made Federal Government supreme. He destroyed the Union, was a Dictator, removed rights from people, ignored the Constitution etc. There is a very good reason why but 40 years after him Progressives took over, and large Government became the norm. Lincoln destroyed America, for America is not a place on a map, but rather an idea. Before someone bring up Slavery; Civil War wasn't fought over Slavery, that was but one of the issues. Slavery was dying anyway.
Every schoolchild with enough smarts and curiosity to get beyond the latest video game of "Call of Duty" ought to go see "Lincoln," the movie, and check out the references and his own attention span. It requires patience, but it shows through dramatic action how a self-taught rustic from the deep backwoods had the emotional and intellectual discipline to overcome poverty and grow up to be a president to rank among the greatest.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Video: The solution to the campus sexual assault crisis Jazz Shaw 4 hours ago
- Obama’s ISIS Tap Dance Jazz Shaw 5 hours ago
- Rumor du jour: House GOP working on “punishment” for votes against Boehner as Speaker Jazz Shaw 7 hours ago
- Ukraine, rebels agree on buffer zone, withdrawal of foreign troops and “mercenaries” Ed Morrissey 8 hours ago
- Could Louisiana elect an 87 year old Democrat felon to Congress? Jazz Shaw 10 hours ago