This is not about the American Dream or a Horatio Alger story. (Does anybody remember him?) Nor is it mythmaking. It's made of sterner stuff than that....
I agree completely. There is a lot of good that one can say about Lincoln, such as that he was a very good leader, a very compassionate man, a self made man, etc... however that doesn't change the fact that he was the one who made Federal Government supreme. He destroyed the Union, was a Dictator, removed rights from people, ignored the Constitution etc. There is a very good reason why but 40 years after him Progressives took over, and large Government became the norm. Lincoln destroyed America, for America is not a place on a map, but rather an idea. Before someone bring up Slavery; Civil War wasn't fought over Slavery, that was but one of the issues. Slavery was dying anyway.
Every schoolchild with enough smarts and curiosity to get beyond the latest video game of "Call of Duty" ought to go see "Lincoln," the movie, and check out the references and his own attention span. It requires patience, but it shows through dramatic action how a self-taught rustic from the deep backwoods had the emotional and intellectual discipline to overcome poverty and grow up to be a president to rank among the greatest.
- Why won’t the White House explain how off-budget ObamaCare money got spent? Ed Morrissey 24 minutes ago
- Are bans on high capacity magazines constitutional? Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 13 hours ago
- EPA exonerates Christie administration in obscure bridge-related offense someone made up Mary Katharine Ham 14 hours ago
- California energy companies are getting the heck outta’ dodge and moving to Texas Erika Johnsen 15 hours ago
- CNN poll: 58% oppose abortion in most or all cases Ed Morrissey 15 hours ago