When I was in grade school, I remember going to birthday parties at the local bowling alley. Before the games would begin, the workers would install bumpers inside the gutters in order to prevent gutter balls and avoid "failure." When I was growing up, it was common for sports teams to award trophies to all the players so no little kid would have his or her feelings hurt at the end of the season. Today, there are school districts which no longer give out "F'" grades, and hundreds of high schools have removed class ranks so that my generation will feel...
In response to:
Where to begin? A very substantial number of cash cows (freshmen) do not belong in college - they are unprepared for college level work. To compensate, colleges offer college prep courses, formerly known as secondary education, and they have substantially dumbed down courses. Few of my students can present a cogent thought in writing. I can no longer use essay examinations because I have absolutely no idea what the presented answers are purporting to state. College is not trade school - it is the place where one learns how to learn, how to employ that gray stuff inside the cranium. Feminist, Black, Multiculture Studies programs are propaganda platforms where independent thinking is prohibited.
- Jihadi social media: Khorasan Group leader Muhsin al-Fadhli killed in U.S. airstrikes in Syria Allahpundit 41 mins ago
- NYT: On second thought, Bush did pull together a coalition on Iraq Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- U.S. had Assad’s cooperation during strikes on targets in Syria Noah Rothman 2 hour ago
- Open thread: War president to address nation after targeting ISIS, Khorasan in Syria Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Yemen’s capital under near total control of Shiite rebels following bloody offensive Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- US hits Khorasan group in air strikes on Syria Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago