The Emancipation Proclamation only freed slaves in states that were in rebellion against the United States. West Virginia broke from Virginia at the start of the war and was a slave state; its slaves weren't freed. So your statement reflects the ignorance the prior poster deplores. The bigger travesty is that the United States was the only western power to fight a war to free it's slaves.
- DNC chairwoman: What, politics influencing the president’s Keystone XL delay? Nahhh. Erika Johnsen 3 hours ago
- Oklahoma will charge homeowners who generate their own power Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- Modern tales of the Good Samaritan Jazz Shaw 9 hours ago
- Gosnell Movie crosses the million-dollar mark Ed Morrissey 11 hours ago
- Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads Allahpundit 13 hours ago
- A blessed and happy Easter Sunday to all Hot Air readers! Ed Morrissey 21 hours ago