The Emancipation Proclamation only freed slaves in states that were in rebellion against the United States. West Virginia broke from Virginia at the start of the war and was a slave state; its slaves weren't freed. So your statement reflects the ignorance the prior poster deplores. The bigger travesty is that the United States was the only western power to fight a war to free it's slaves.
- NYT: After six weeks of U.S. airstrikes, ISIS has “scarcely budged” Allahpundit 33 mins ago
- McCain: I was pals with Mark Udall’s dad so I can’t bring myself to campaign for Cory Gardner Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Secret Service failures may expand no-walking zone around White House Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- CDC: Up to half a million Ebola cases by end of January Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Video: South Park ad hits Redskins … during Redskins game Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- NYT: Daniel Inouye was the senator who told Kirsten Gillibrand that he likes his girls chubby Allahpundit 3 hours ago