Yes, there can be a downside to ever greater government provision. Many things done in the name of compassion—even compassionate conservatism—can have undesirable side effects. In the 1970s, for example, honorable people on both sides of the political divide tried to find ways with coping with persistent poverty. Surely, those who seemed trapped in poverty were living lesser lives. Was there not something...
In response to:
they do, the know what they do, the doctrine does not survive on its own so they needs useful idiots from different groups in order to cobble a slim majority. That is how you maintain political power. Black americans have a very conservative value system, yet they vote 100% democrat, why is that? are they stupid or racist? Because no one has killed more black babies(estimate is around 40 Million) than the democrats and yet they continue to have 100% of the black vote.
Congressman Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) struck a nerve during his acceptance speech in Tampa, Florida last week. He put his finger on the Obama vision for America and in doing so, may have given Americans a jolt.
- Obama: The world’s always been messy, but now social media is amplifying it Mary Katharine Ham 28 mins ago
- Video: Hot Air exclusive interview with Gov. Rick Perry Ed Morrissey 49 mins ago
- “Walking Dead” grumble thread: Hey, maybe Daryl’s gay Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Report: ISIS eyeing Mexican border to infiltrate America and execute terrorist attacks Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Should Kirsten Gillibrand name the senator who told her “I like my girls chubby”? Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Pence: Cheer up — we’re winning! Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago