Yes, there can be a downside to ever greater government provision. Many things done in the name of compassion—even compassionate conservatism—can have undesirable side effects. In the 1970s, for example, honorable people on both sides of the political divide tried to find ways with coping with persistent poverty. Surely, those who seemed trapped in poverty were living lesser lives. Was there not something...
In response to:
yes, there are people like that. I'd say that about 50% of the population is like that
Congressman Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) struck a nerve during his acceptance speech in Tampa, Florida last week. He put his finger on the Obama vision for America and in doing so, may have given Americans a jolt.
- Nudity, prudity, and double standards on cable television Ed Morrissey 9 minutes ago
- Funny or die: Obama pitches ObamaCare to Zach Galifianakis Allahpundit 48 minutes ago
- Netanyahu: PA has to recognize Israel as a Jewish state Ed Morrissey 56 minutes ago
- WaPo/ABC poll shows Obama underwater on Ukraine crisis, Russia Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Feinstein: CIA snooped on secure Congressional network Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Special election in FL-13 today: Jolly vs Sink Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago