What's wrong with using moving averages to assess trends in economic data? After all, it's a practice that is endorsed by the Federal Reserve.
That question arises today because of the WSJ's Josh Mitchell's analysis from last Friday, which suggests that initial jobless claims are trending down:
The number of Americans applying for unemployment insurance has fallen sharply since summer. The four-week moving average...
- Kurds seize two oil fields, pull out of Iraqi government Ed Morrissey 32 minutes ago
- Great news: VA overpaying misclassified workers by millions … and can’t fix it Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Obama aims to keep Democrats happy while he coasts to 2016 Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- WaPo: Is “the bear” loose … or is it an ostrich? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Federal judge to IRS: Explain these “lost” e-mails, please … under oath Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago