Those who talk glibly about redistribution often act as if people are just inert objects that can be placed here and there, like pieces on a chess board, to carry out some grand design. But if human beings have their own responses to government policies,...
How about you tell me what it is, then? If you don't call it redistribution of wealth, then what do you call it when the government takes your tax dollars and gives them to someone else? True, a soldier provides a service, but that doesn't make it *not* wealth redistribution, just wealth redistribution that you (and I) find of value. Welfare for the poor (or Pell grants for a student) aren't any different: it is still redistribution. The only difference is that you don't see a value in it where I do. I don't mind having that argument with you, but it is absurd to try and re-define a process that is as old as government itself as something alien to our way of life.
The recently discovered tape on which Barack Obama said back in 1998 that he believes in redistribution is not really news. He said the same thing to Joe the Plumber four years ago. But the surfacing of this tape may serve a useful purpose if it gets people to thinking about what the consequences of redistribution are.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Citizen legislator Sen. Mary Landrieu doesn’t really live in Louisiana Mary Katharine Ham 3 hours ago
- Democrats go after Republican for self-defense measure he took…14 years ago Matt Vespa 3 hours ago
- Rubio: If I had to vote again on my Gang of Eight immigration bill, I’d vote no Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Obama lets another red line lapse in Ukraine, and the consequences will be dire Noah Rothman 5 hours ago
- Heartache for lefties: Elizabeth Warren defends Israel at Massachusetts town hall Allahpundit 6 hours ago