Those who talk glibly about redistribution often act as if people are just inert objects that can be placed here and there, like pieces on a chess board, to carry out some grand design. But if human beings have their own responses to government policies,...
How about you tell me what it is, then? If you don't call it redistribution of wealth, then what do you call it when the government takes your tax dollars and gives them to someone else? True, a soldier provides a service, but that doesn't make it *not* wealth redistribution, just wealth redistribution that you (and I) find of value. Welfare for the poor (or Pell grants for a student) aren't any different: it is still redistribution. The only difference is that you don't see a value in it where I do. I don't mind having that argument with you, but it is absurd to try and re-define a process that is as old as government itself as something alien to our way of life.
The recently discovered tape on which Barack Obama said back in 1998 that he believes in redistribution is not really news. He said the same thing to Joe the Plumber four years ago. But the surfacing of this tape may serve a useful purpose if it gets people to thinking about what the consequences of redistribution are.
- EPA exonerates Christie administration in obscure bridge-related offense someone made up Mary Katharine Ham 24 minutes ago
- California energy companies are getting the heck outta’ dodge and moving to Texas Erika Johnsen 1 hour ago
- CNN poll: 58% oppose abortion in most or all cases Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Video: Rand Paul’s very libertarian speech at CPAC Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- RNC Chairman talks tactics, the GOP’s technological gap, and how the March for Life “was a little bit of a wake-up call” Dustin Siggins 3 hours ago
- Super-sized: Man loses 56 lbs eating nothing but McDonald’s Allahpundit 4 hours ago