Confessions of a Bad Woman

lshort Wrote: Jan 11, 2013 10:55 AM
Oh yeah, and the one time my boss fell in love with me. Not sure if that counts as a gender problem, in that he wouldn't have if I'd been male, but then again, he didn't fall in love with any of his other female subordinates, so...

Confessions of a Bad Woman

lshort Wrote: Jan 11, 2013 10:54 AM
in most of those cases (in one of them, I'm not really sure if it was or not--if it was, it was only a contributing factor, though, there were definitely other non-gender problems as well--for two of them, I'm 100% sure it was gender-related, lol, and for one of those I'm sure of, the problem was with another woman).

Confessions of a Bad Woman

lshort Wrote: Jan 11, 2013 10:53 AM
Yep, same here. First I was a soldier in air defense artillery--less than 10% female. Then I was an engineering student--my major graduated 19 students my graduation term, three of whom were female (including me). Then I went to work as a professional engineer--there were at any given time in the companies I've worked for since graduation between one (as in, just me!) and about four total female engineers (the total employee population ranged from a few hundred to close to a thousand). So I'm used to men, working with men, being around men, etc. 95% of the time I've had no problems with anybody of either gender, but there has been that unfortunate 5% of the time where I have, and I'm sorry to say it but it has been a gender problem
Best blonde joke ever: Q: Why are there so many blonde jokes? A: Making them up gives brunettes something to do on Friday and Saturday nights. :) --Lisa, who is a blonde
If you're attractive, women like it as long as you're not standing too close and/or touching them--a few will still like even that, but most will get nervous.. If you're not attractive, they don't like it. :)
Well, I was raised to not make public comments on peoples' appearances because it's rude. Making public negative comments is rude and hurtful; making public positive comments isn't hurtful, but it's still rude. However, the deal made about this one has gotten completely ridiculous--it'd have been a lot more comprehensible if it'd been a public NEGATIVE remark, but it wasn't--we must be starved for news or something...

What is the Future of Conservatism?

lshort Wrote: Jan 11, 2013 9:24 AM
I keep hoping that the focus will go back to and stay on fiscal conservativism, not social conservativism. I mostly couldn't care less what people do in their private lives.

Confessions of a Bad Woman

lshort Wrote: Jan 11, 2013 9:21 AM
I love it when people accuse other people of stupidity with misspellings. :) Makes my day.

Confessions of a Bad Woman

lshort Wrote: Jan 11, 2013 9:19 AM
I do. I just toured a daycare for my daughter where two of the teachers are male, and I could see my husband having the same reaction as me--knee-jerk suspicion, then forcible logic applied to the situation. It's an ingrained cultural narrative, that men working with children are suspect. :(

Confessions of a Bad Woman

lshort Wrote: Jan 11, 2013 9:18 AM
I like to see women do well. Of course, I like to see men do well too. Mostly when I see a woman do really well at something I admire that I think I could do too I'm swamped by a competitive urge...but then, I feel that way when I see the same with a man. Hmm. Maybe I'm a bad woman too, by the author's definition. :) I admit, I mostly don't compete with other women. The things I care about that I accomplished aren't often done by women--usually done by men. So that's the standard I hold myself too. Except with motherhood, but since I already know I'm not the greatest mom, I don't torture myself with comparisons to other supermoms if I can avoid it. :)