Roe v Wade, Forty Years After

lshort Wrote: Jan 14, 2013 12:48 PM
No, just tired of seeing the very important and complex issue of abortion reduced to cutesy sound bytes. So I thought I'd chime right in with the cutesiness too. :)

Roe v Wade, Forty Years After

lshort Wrote: Jan 14, 2013 12:44 PM
Well, the father of my daughter certainly has. :)

Roe v Wade, Forty Years After

lshort Wrote: Jan 14, 2013 12:42 PM
*correct your wrongness. Good lord, is it TH or my keyboard?

Roe v Wade, Forty Years After

lshort Wrote: Jan 14, 2013 12:42 PM
I'm neither glad nor sorry, so I guess I'm correct your wrongnes. :)

Roe v Wade, Forty Years After

lshort Wrote: Jan 14, 2013 12:17 PM
Well, I'd love to believe that women are more wondrous and miraculous than men, but my experience being one leads me to think that they're really not. It's true to say that the physical process of reproduction requires a lot more from women than from men, though.

Roe v Wade, Forty Years After

lshort Wrote: Jan 14, 2013 12:15 PM
Again with the tedious name-calling...do you call people these things to their face, or only from the safety of your keyboard? Pro-choicers also pursue unwanted pregnancy prevention; they are quite well-known for their advocacy of birth control.

Roe v Wade, Forty Years After

lshort Wrote: Jan 14, 2013 12:07 PM
They're really not the same thing. That's why we have different words for them--the meaning of the Latin root notwithstanding--the Latin root for "embryo" means "to swell," so should we based on that consider an embryo (which is the stage at which more than half of elective abortions take place) a "swelling?" We need to base our opinions on abortion on logical and moral reasoning, not on ancient language word roots.

Roe v Wade, Forty Years After

lshort Wrote: Jan 14, 2013 11:45 AM
Actually, the best way to reduce abortions IS to prevent unwanted pregnancies. That's not liberal, conservative, moderate or any other kind of claptrap. It doesn't have anything to do with political leanings at all. It's just an obvious fact.

Roe v Wade, Forty Years After

lshort Wrote: Jan 14, 2013 11:42 AM
You're making sweeping and incorrect generalizations. Lots of pro-choice people have seen many, many ultrasounds, are familiar with D&C procedures and what they look like (I had a D&C myself--not for an abortion, but for a miscarriage that didn't complete by itself--it is the same procedure), and many of them have spoken to women post-abortion, including women that regret it.

Roe v Wade, Forty Years After

lshort Wrote: Jan 14, 2013 11:39 AM
Probably not in the way you mean it, no. Also, I'm not a liberal. Nor a dunce, since you bring it up. :) If you're actually interested, my feelings about abortion and related issues are complex both intellectually and emotionally, and it's an issue I've often contemplated since it first was something I really knew anything about (somewhere in my early to middle teens). To me, it isn't black and white, though I know it is for some people. (of course, if you're not interested, feel free to skip over all this verbiage and ignore me from here on out)

Roe v Wade, Forty Years After

lshort Wrote: Jan 14, 2013 9:02 AM
Well, this must mean that I am going to turn 40 this year, as Roe v. Wade and I were born in the same year. That has significance to me...not mystical significance, though, just a sign that I'm getting old. Boo hoo.