Huge pensions for retired government workers can be found from small municipalities to national governments on both sides of the Atlantic. There is a reason. For elected officials, pensions are virtually the ideal thing to spend money on, politically speaking. Many kinds of spending of the taxpayers' money win votes from the recipients. But...
Are you daring to say that our national financial policy is heartless and selfish? What do you expect people to do, go without today just so some kid can live easier tomorrow? What utter stupidity. I am entitled to an easy life, and I deserve it regardless of the means taken to acquire it. I are OWED these things, and I intend on collecting. Sell the brats as slaves for all I care, just so long as I don't have to do without the things that I am entitled to. I want an easy life, and if that means some kid in the future has a bleak existence, so be it. I could care less, just so long as I get everything I want when I want it.
A nation's choice between spending on military defense and spending on civilian goods has often been posed as "guns versus butter." But understanding the choices of many nations' political leaders might be helped by examining the contrast between their runaway spending on pensions while skimping on military defense.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Super: NASA’s asteroid avoidance program is on par with the rest of the federal government Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- Adrian Peterson: “I am, without a doubt, not a child abuser.” Jazz Shaw 9 hours ago
- Video: Florida mom arrested, charged with child neglect for letting her seven-year-old have a sip of whiskey Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Officer in Daniele Watts handcuff incident was responding to a call Jazz Shaw 10 hours ago
- Friendly reminder: Republicans could absolutely fail to win the Senate Guy Benson 11 hours ago