Huge pensions for retired government workers can be found from small municipalities to national governments on both sides of the Atlantic. There is a reason. For elected officials, pensions are virtually the ideal thing to spend money on, politically speaking. Many kinds of spending of the taxpayers' money win votes from the recipients. But...
Are you daring to say that our national financial policy is heartless and selfish? What do you expect people to do, go without today just so some kid can live easier tomorrow? What utter stupidity. I am entitled to an easy life, and I deserve it regardless of the means taken to acquire it. I are OWED these things, and I intend on collecting. Sell the brats as slaves for all I care, just so long as I don't have to do without the things that I am entitled to. I want an easy life, and if that means some kid in the future has a bleak existence, so be it. I could care less, just so long as I get everything I want when I want it.
A nation's choice between spending on military defense and spending on civilian goods has often been posed as "guns versus butter." But understanding the choices of many nations' political leaders might be helped by examining the contrast between their runaway spending on pensions while skimping on military defense.
- This is CNN: White gay man and black woman argue over who is ‘stealing’ the other’s culture Noah Rothman 3 minutes ago
- Palin makes the case for impeaching Obama Allahpundit 42 minutes ago
- Video: Megyn Kelly vs. Nancy Pelosi on the Hobby Lobby ruling Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Poll: Republican voters back immigration reform? Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- LeBron James becomes first person ever to leave Miami for Cleveland voluntarily Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Contemptible corporate cowardice Noah Rothman 3 hours ago