Huge pensions for retired government workers can be found from small municipalities to national governments on both sides of the Atlantic. There is a reason. For elected officials, pensions are virtually the ideal thing to spend money on, politically speaking. Many kinds of spending of the taxpayers' money win votes from the recipients. But...
No need to be subtle. As Americans, we are proud of our efforts in this arena. We make no attempt to disguise the fact that our bills will be paid by those who currently have no voice. We are proud of our conversion to socialism, and only wish we had done so sooner. People are entitled to unlimited quantities of whatever they want, free of charge. We have a govt that is designed to provide such bounty, and we worship our rulers who ensure the cornucopia of material goods is ever flowing. What's to hide? Through adherance to Maxism and Obamanism, we can kill the beast of capitalism for once and all.
A nation's choice between spending on military defense and spending on civilian goods has often been posed as "guns versus butter." But understanding the choices of many nations' political leaders might be helped by examining the contrast between their runaway spending on pensions while skimping on military defense.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- Super: NASA’s asteroid avoidance program is on par with the rest of the federal government Mary Katharine Ham 7 hours ago
- Adrian Peterson: “I am, without a doubt, not a child abuser.” Jazz Shaw 7 hours ago
- Video: Florida mom arrested, charged with child neglect for letting her seven-year-old have a sip of whiskey Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Officer in Daniele Watts handcuff incident was responding to a call Jazz Shaw 9 hours ago
- Friendly reminder: Republicans could absolutely fail to win the Senate Guy Benson 9 hours ago