Huge pensions for retired government workers can be found from small municipalities to national governments on both sides of the Atlantic. There is a reason. For elected officials, pensions are virtually the ideal thing to spend money on, politically speaking. Many kinds of spending of the taxpayers' money win votes from the recipients. But...
No need to be subtle. As Americans, we are proud of our efforts in this arena. We make no attempt to disguise the fact that our bills will be paid by those who currently have no voice. We are proud of our conversion to socialism, and only wish we had done so sooner. People are entitled to unlimited quantities of whatever they want, free of charge. We have a govt that is designed to provide such bounty, and we worship our rulers who ensure the cornucopia of material goods is ever flowing. What's to hide? Through adherance to Maxism and Obamanism, we can kill the beast of capitalism for once and all.
A nation's choice between spending on military defense and spending on civilian goods has often been posed as "guns versus butter." But understanding the choices of many nations' political leaders might be helped by examining the contrast between their runaway spending on pensions while skimping on military defense.
- Reflecting on Kelo nine years later Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Video: Obama signs bill blocking Iranian UN envoy from entry Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- MSNBC host debates Michele Fiore on Bundy ranch. Does not fare well. Jazz Shaw 4 hours ago
- A Trojan Horse on amnesty in the defense bill? Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- Video: How to get kicked out of a Clay Aiken fundraiser Jazz Shaw 7 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 20 hours ago