Huge pensions for retired government workers can be found from small municipalities to national governments on both sides of the Atlantic. There is a reason. For elected officials, pensions are virtually the ideal thing to spend money on, politically speaking. Many kinds of spending of the taxpayers' money win votes from the recipients. But...
As far as paying tomorrow for today's benefits, that's what our children are for. There is no reason to do without when our kids can easily pay the bills later on. In fact, this concept needs to be carried on further. People should be allowed to defer credit card payments and buy new cars using their kids as collateral. When the kids get to working age, the bills are assigned to them directly, and the payments will be taken from their paychecks. If necessary, the kids can be transferred to labor camps until the debt is worked off. Using this method, the current generation can live like kings, and if the kids don't like it, well tough. They can't vote, so who cares what they think about it?
A nation's choice between spending on military defense and spending on civilian goods has often been posed as "guns versus butter." But understanding the choices of many nations' political leaders might be helped by examining the contrast between their runaway spending on pensions while skimping on military defense.
- FAA orders 24-hour moratorium on US to Tel Aviv over missile worries Ed Morrissey 13 minutes ago
- Tuesday TEMS: Andrew Malcolm, Raffi Williams, Dustin Siggins, William Jacobson Ed Morrissey 23 minutes ago
- Conservatives get a big 2014 boost from ‘fatal blow’ to Obamacare Noah Rothman 54 minutes ago
- On the other hand: Fourth Circuit upholds ObamaCare subsidies for federal exchange consumers Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- White House: It’s business as usual on subsidies after Halbig Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- July Crisis: Ukraine alleges a Russian military officer pulled the trigger on MH17 Noah Rothman 2 hours ago