In response to:
Just symbolic to me is the gulf coast suppression of drilling/producing oil. Last year from our balcony there were 31 drilling/pumping rigs visible. More than 30 sites for oil recovery cleanup functioning daily around the clock. Last week from the same location there were 6 drilling platforms/oil pumping rigs. Oil cleanup still continues but we saw no full shifts and merely patrols riding up and down the beach with fewer people and nothing to clean up. In the bay west of Gulf Shores AL, which was heavily populated with working rigs and many additional rigs as backup, there were less than a dozen where there were several scores of rigs last year. This is certainly NOT what energy independence looks like.
The usual spin from both sides declaring victory in the vice presidential debate underscores just how stunning and unusual Romney's blowout win in the first presidential debate was. That win up-ended the race and catapulted Romney into the lead in most national polls. President Obama, in turn, has reacted by shifting his campaign's central theme from the implausible claim that Romney is an extreme conservative to an accusation that he's a flip-flopper. But it is Obama who has a head-spinning record of, on issue after issue, doing the opposite of what he promised on the campaign trail in 2008.
- Polls show Israel in lockstep with Netanyahu on Gaza war Ed Morrissey 8 minutes ago
- Constitutional law professor on separation of powers: “Stop hatin’ all the time” Allahpundit 48 minutes ago
- Video: A huge executive amnesty for illegals would be a big mistake, says … Ed Schultz? Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Grimes: Iron Dome really helps defend against the tunnels, or something Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Is the world giving up on a two-state solution? Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Are the culture wars really just about sex? Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago