In response to:
Just symbolic to me is the gulf coast suppression of drilling/producing oil. Last year from our balcony there were 31 drilling/pumping rigs visible. More than 30 sites for oil recovery cleanup functioning daily around the clock. Last week from the same location there were 6 drilling platforms/oil pumping rigs. Oil cleanup still continues but we saw no full shifts and merely patrols riding up and down the beach with fewer people and nothing to clean up. In the bay west of Gulf Shores AL, which was heavily populated with working rigs and many additional rigs as backup, there were less than a dozen where there were several scores of rigs last year. This is certainly NOT what energy independence looks like.
The usual spin from both sides declaring victory in the vice presidential debate underscores just how stunning and unusual Romney's blowout win in the first presidential debate was. That win up-ended the race and catapulted Romney into the lead in most national polls. President Obama, in turn, has reacted by shifting his campaign's central theme from the implausible claim that Romney is an extreme conservative to an accusation that he's a flip-flopper. But it is Obama who has a head-spinning record of, on issue after issue, doing the opposite of what he promised on the campaign trail in 2008.
- Was the Aurora theater shooting “foreseeable” by owners? Jazz Shaw 18 mins ago
- US ponders military intervention in Syria as well as Iraq Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Friday night document dump: Yet another “accommodation” on HHS mandate Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Teachers unions angry with Obama staff “sellouts” Jazz Shaw 4 hours ago
- Elite northeastern college town very worried about becoming Ferguson Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 18 hours ago