The financial crisis is over and the recession ended in 2009. But one of the federal government's biggest social welfare programs, which expanded when the economy convulsed, isn't shrinking back alongside the recovery.
Enrollment in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, as the modern-day food-stamp benefit is known, has soared 70% since 2008 to a record 47.8 million as of December 2012. Congressional budget...
In response to:
heck - while we're at it; let's pass medicare part D and not pay for it!
- Time: The West is losing Cold War II Ed Morrissey 53 minutes ago
- Arizona inmate takes nearly two hours to die by lethal injection in botched execution Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- ISIS reportedly orders women and girls of Mosul to undergo ‘genital mutilation’ Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- WaPo editorial: Why is the world ignoring Hamas’ depravity? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Uncommon courage: Jeb Bush finally weighs in on the border crisis Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- FAA, EASA reauthorize operations at Tel Aviv for Western airlines Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago