The financial crisis is over and the recession ended in 2009. But one of the federal government's biggest social welfare programs, which expanded when the economy convulsed, isn't shrinking back alongside the recovery.
Enrollment in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, as the modern-day food-stamp benefit is known, has soared 70% since 2008 to a record 47.8 million as of December 2012. Congressional budget...
In response to:
Hey - there's too many poor people! Let's make sure we tax 'em!
- Malaysia: Flight 370 signals continued for more than seven hours Ed Morrissey 58 minutes ago
- Bobby Jindal hits the trail in New Hampshire Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 14 hours ago
- This HHS official’s resignation letter says everything you’ve ever thought about bureaucracy Mary Katharine Ham 15 hours ago
- Venezuelan official: John Kerry is a “murderer” and these protests are pretty much all his fault Erika Johnsen 16 hours ago
- Sarah Palin to launch “Rogue TV” Allahpundit 16 hours ago