In short, then, the economy stalled after a surprisingly strong February. Employers weren't hiring much and a lot of people gave up looking for jobs. Even the federal government lost jobs - though that was...
were you in a coma in 2008? Good to be you, I guess.
The American economy added 88,000 jobs in March, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, which was a major miss from predictions. Forecasters were expecting between 150,000-200,000 jobs added. The unemployment rate dropped despite the lackluster number added due to a sharp drop in the labor force participation rate - from 7.7 to 7.6%. Nearly half a million people stopped looking for work in March.
- Open thread: Semi-retired President to issue daily communique at 12:45 ET (pledged) Ed Morrissey 31 mins ago
- World Jewish Congress president asks, “Who will stand up for the Christians?” Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Police sources to NYT: Witnesses, forensics prove Wilson sustained an injury during his confrontation with Michael Brown Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- White House knew ISIS planned to kill James Foley Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Report: Qatar scuttled Gaza cease-fire for not having seat at Cairo table Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- White House now leaning on Eric Holder to play the role of racial healer? Noah Rothman 3 hours ago