Huge pensions for retired government workers can be found from small municipalities to national governments on both sides of the Atlantic. There is a reason. For elected officials, pensions are virtually the ideal thing to spend money on, politically speaking. Many kinds of spending of the taxpayers' money win votes from the recipients. But...
Big companies thrive because they constantly get rid of the "deadwood" employees, the U.S. government fails time and time again as it never cleans up it's deadwood. It not only keeps people on it's payroll, it keeps them long enough to retire and stay on the pay roll the rest of their life. Useless rules and regs are written all day long for no other reason than to justify someone's job worth. Government payroll keeps growing and growing because there is no limit to how much they can spend. Parties and conventions in the millions are spent frivolously, while each agency asks for more money. NO ONE in government will do anything to stop the gravy train. 16 trillion dollar deficit...... why not a 26 trillion dollar deficit, who cares?
A nation's choice between spending on military defense and spending on civilian goods has often been posed as "guns versus butter." But understanding the choices of many nations' political leaders might be helped by examining the contrast between their runaway spending on pensions while skimping on military defense.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Your feel good video of the weekend, with Reince and DWS Jazz Shaw 11 hours ago
- Noted internet gambling critic has interesting gaming history Jazz Shaw 12 hours ago
- 2014’s ‘Clinton Democrats’ crashing and burning Noah Rothman 14 hours ago
- The Democrats’ embarrassing attempt to blame Republican for Ebola collapses Noah Rothman 15 hours ago
- NFL Week 7 open thread Ed Morrissey 17 hours ago