My kids and I spent 8 very long years of our lives on food stamps. At that time I received not quite $400/month to feed 5 of us. I did not qualify for the WIC program because my youngest child wasn't anemic. Conversations with my kids went like this: "Mom, can we get this bag of (fill in the junk food blank)? "No hon, we need milk, bread, peanut butter, eggs and hamburger and chicken" They didn't get ice cream, cookies, soda, etc. We didn't eat steak unless it was venison that a friend shot and shared with us. I planted beans and tomatoes. So it burns my butt when I read this stuff.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Video: Nothing to see here: Obama is “Faithfully executing the laws” Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- Congressman Bob Goodlattte assures us that there is no impeachment in the offing Jazz Shaw 4 hours ago
- The border crisis isn’t Obama’s Katrina – it’s worse Noah Rothman 6 hours ago
- Uh oh: Moscow claims Ukraine attack inside Russian territory killed civilians Noah Rothman 7 hours ago
- The Lerner Files: “smidgens upon smidgens” of corruption Jazz Shaw 9 hours ago