Despite the small country of Cyprus receiving a bailout from Russia to prevent an economic collapse and bankruptcy, many with deposits in the banking system will see as much as 40 percent in losses. Before the bailout, the Cyprus government suggested confiscating private bank savings to solve the short term problem. Some have argued the confiscation of personal funds can only happen in tiny countries like Cyprus and of course couldn't happen anywhere else however, it looks like Italy and Spain are getting ready to raid private bank accounts in an attempt to offset decades of poor economic decisions....
I think you summed up the situation very well.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Obama: The world’s always been messy, but now social media is amplifying it Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- Video: Hot Air exclusive interview with Gov. Rick Perry Ed Morrissey 6 hours ago
- “Walking Dead” grumble thread: Hey, maybe Daryl’s gay Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Report: ISIS eyeing Mexican border to infiltrate America and execute terrorist attacks Noah Rothman 8 hours ago
- Should Kirsten Gillibrand name the senator who told her “I like my girls chubby”? Allahpundit 8 hours ago