Despite the small country of Cyprus receiving a bailout from Russia to prevent an economic collapse and bankruptcy, many with deposits in the banking system will see as much as 40 percent in losses. Before the bailout, the Cyprus government suggested confiscating private bank savings to solve the short term problem. Some have argued the confiscation of personal funds can only happen in tiny countries like Cyprus and of course couldn't happen anywhere else however, it looks like Italy and Spain are getting ready to raid private bank accounts in an attempt to offset decades of poor economic decisions....
I think you summed up the situation very well.
- Rand Paul working to get David Jolly over the finish line in FL-13 special Jazz Shaw 34 minutes ago
- CPAC: Daniel Hannan and the origins of liberty Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Quote of the day Allahpundit 15 hours ago
- Big Labor: ObamaCare is making income inequality worse, you know Erika Johnsen 16 hours ago
- Reading 2.0: There’s an app for that Jazz Shaw 18 hours ago