Suppose I saw an elderly woman painfully huddled on a heating grate in the dead of winter. She's hungry and in...
You voluntarily bought a car and then voluntarily paid up front to insure it, thereby choosing of your own free will to join a certain pool - a limited segment - of other individuals (also of their own free wills) to share your risk. Your loss is paid once (not once each month, ad infinitum) and you are restored to the financial position in which you were before you sustained your loss. Now I am sure you can see the faults within your analogy.
Benjamin Franklin, statesman and signer of our Declaration of Independence, said: "Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters." John Adams, another signer, echoed a similar statement: "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." Are today's Americans virtuous and moral, or have we become corrupt and vicious? Let's think it through with a few questions.
- Video: Feds bust prep-school drug ring Ed Morrissey 30 minutes ago
- Has al-Qaeda taken over a secret US base in Libya? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- NYT poll shows Pryor up 10 in Arkansas Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Lavrov: Russia will respond in Ukraine if interests “attacked” … like we did in 2008 Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- WaPo columnist: Home ownership is a lousy investment Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago