Let's think about whether all acts of Congress deserve our respect and obedience. Suppose Congress enacted a law -- and the Supreme Court ruled it constitutional -- requiring American families to attend church services at least three times a month. Should we obey such a law? Suppose Congress, acting under the Constitution's commerce clause, enacted a law requiring motorists to get eight hours of sleep before driving on interstate highways. Its justification might be that drowsy motorists risk highway accidents and accidents affect interstate commerce. Suppose you were a jury member during the 1850s and a free person were on trial...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 40 mins ago
- Super: NASA’s asteroid avoidance program is on par with the rest of the federal government Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- Adrian Peterson: “I am, without a doubt, not a child abuser.” Jazz Shaw 2 hour ago
- Video: Florida mom arrested, charged with child neglect for letting her seven-year-old have a sip of whiskey Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Officer in Daniele Watts handcuff incident was responding to a call Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- Friendly reminder: Republicans could absolutely fail to win the Senate Guy Benson 4 hours ago