It's starting to look a lot like ... Chanukah. That's the minor eight-day Jewish holiday that's become a major one in our time, perhaps because of its proximity to Christmas and the demand for some kind of Jewish equivalent.
But the same blessings are still recited, the same songs sung. There are latkes to be eaten, and children's games to be played with a spinning top ... but just what does Chanukah celebrate?
Answer: A successful Jewish revolt against a Syrian empire ruled by the Seleucid dynasty of Greek kings some 2,200 years ago.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 41 mins ago
- John Roberts doesn’t believe either Scalia or Ginsburg could be confirmed today Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- Publisher rips New York Times for snubbing David Limbaugh’s book Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- How to lose a war before it begins Noah Rothman 5 hours ago
- Putin: I could have troops in Kiev… Warsaw and Bucharest Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- NFL Week 3 open thread Ed Morrissey 8 hours ago