How are American newspapers and networks covering the Conclave? Poorly, if at all. Most of the stories are breathless horserace-style speculations about men they don't know. When American journalists venture into the issues facing the Roman Catholic Church they rightly mention the abuse scandals and then most stop, except for a few who go on about celibacy --which is not going to change no matter who emerges as the new pope. When you next spot an article talking about the slaughter of Christians in the world or the suppression of the Church in China, send me a link. The next pope...
Before calling somebody a lousy historian, you should try reading some history yourself. Nicaea wasn’t a conclave. It was a council. A conclave is convened to select a pope. A council is convened to handle a problem. Nicaea was convened by Pope Silvester and Constantine to address the Arian controversy. Arias was teaching that Jesus was a creature. This created a controversy that was causing problems in the eastern empire. Constantine wanted the Church to settle the controversy. He made the opening address to the council and then took no further part. The council determined that Jesus was ‘.. of one substance with the Father’. For more information on the council, here is a link: http://www.catholic.com/magazine/articles/nicene-cr
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 42 minutes ago
- Video: How does the president’s tone help solve the problem? Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- Obama’s law professor: There’s a “very high risk” that a federal court is going to gut ObamaCare Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- This is CNN: White gay man and black woman argue over who is ‘stealing’ the other’s culture Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Palin makes the case for impeaching Obama Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Video: Megyn Kelly vs. Nancy Pelosi on the Hobby Lobby ruling Allahpundit 4 hours ago