Trigger Please

lemonfemale Wrote: Jun 05, 2014 12:28 PM
OK until the part saying people who talk to total strangers about being raped or stalked probably never were raped or stalked. Since when is it a shame to me what someone else did to me? I've told total strangers I was raped because, among other things, it is a good response to the question of "what about someone who has been raped?" that I get while picketing Planned Parenthood. However the whole tone of the suggested "trigger warning" is sarcastic so I won't assume that everything he says in here is something he would say as sober truth. "Your mother was a hamster!" was not offered as an honest opinion.
This article is ... what's a polite way to say "garbage?" The VA has these secret waiting lists that people have died on (because they don't TELL the person they are on a secret waiting list of course) so they can meet their benchmarks and get their bonuses. They have to do this, poor things. Maybe it's better than shooting up Santa Barbara because the guy never got laid but then again maybe it isn't. I do agree with the title. End the finger pointing. Time for handcuffs and prison.

Does Obama Care About the Troops?

lemonfemale Wrote: May 28, 2014 8:05 PM
I would want to know how often Obama visits Walter Reed. George Bush did it regularly as President. Without a lot of fanfare. So how often does Obama visit?

The Morning After In Arkansas

lemonfemale Wrote: May 22, 2014 5:06 PM
Amen! Reminds me again of why he has won Pulitzers.
Unfortunately for Ann I know a specific case. Unfortunately for me, I forget the name. He spoke to my justice class in the early 2000's. He had been on death row for killing his parents. He had been blacked out drunk that night. His dad repaired motorcycles and was a casualty in a gang war. Authorities have tape of a biker bragging about the killings. Our speaker was freed. Indiana I do believe but as I said I forget the name. Ann's caveat on what "recant" means is worth remembering but if the government does not make its case, the defendant is wrongly convicted. End of story..
To be fair there is a difference between women in combat and women reading war stories in class. You volunteer for combat but you may be signing up for English lit when you take a class. But I do agree with Jonah Goldberg that trigger warnings are silly. If you have a trigger, tell your professor, then they can look out for you. Besides, the triggers can be pretty obscure. I was discussing a particular court case with a classmate as he had it in another class. I knew a lot about it. He asked if I had taken the same course. "No. It's my rape." It's impossible to foresee everything.

The Real Vote Fraud

lemonfemale Wrote: May 12, 2014 6:25 AM
Likewise. And here's one where a young white man was handed Eric Holder's ballot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5p70YbRiPw Now on the other hand, my mother in law had a real problem getting her first photo ID (in her 80's) so I do sympathize. They might try having a questioned ballot where a person with less than ideal ID would have their ballot set aside until it was proven who they were at which point it would be counted.

Look Her in the Eye

lemonfemale Wrote: Apr 28, 2014 2:48 PM
@JF4. Good point but ... first in most cases Mom had a hand in conceiving the child. She caused the accident, she is responsible for the victim. Pregnancy is a lot easier than supporting someone for life that you ran over in your car. Second. It is illegal to kill someone. Assume someone left a baby on my doorstep. I can leave it there to freeze. But assume someone left a baby in my house. I cannot set it outside to freeze. That's the difference.

Look Her in the Eye

lemonfemale Wrote: Apr 28, 2014 2:36 PM
@maber. I don't see the connection, unless you are saying the public at large will all go Left if the Right tries to be prolife. You might be interested in a story, "Those Who Walk Away From Omelas." Omelas is a paradise and the reason it is is because of one child. A retarded child stuck in a closet, fed slops and never ever shown one speck of kindness. On that child and that child's misery their happiness depends. Some appreciate their happiness more, knowing the price. Others, invariably their best and brightest, leave. I would vote a rape exception to get an abortion prohibition passed because it obviously would save the other babies. But that is definite. Your possibility is way too hazy, way too amorphous. "It is not known where they go, those who walk away from Omelas. But I know."

Look Her in the Eye

lemonfemale Wrote: Apr 28, 2014 2:28 PM
@stout77. Can't claim a whole lot of courage. I knew who her mother was. The law is one thing. The penalty is another. Though abortion was illegal, women were not charged (you might want to verify that). The abortionists were charged. One thing law does is teach. Something illegal becomes unthinkable. And again, a raped and pregnant woman should be lauded. No pregnant woman should be shamed. Ever.

Look Her in the Eye

lemonfemale Wrote: Apr 28, 2014 2:21 PM
You just kind've made the "legitimate rape" mistake since no one -by definition- asks to be raped. I could say I've never done the same and I'd be lying. But, actually, the cohort of raped and pregnant women are probably going to be worse off from an abortion than the cohort who might have one. Because they don't do abortion. They feel driven to it in this exceptional case then find they cannot live with themselves. I say no pregnant woman should be shamed and a pregnant-from-rape woman should be lauded. And her expenses paid by whatever victim's compensation boards there are in the area. (My taxes and yours.)