Blacks Must Confront Reality

LeishaC Wrote: Aug 27, 2014 9:37 AM
I disagree. Just because something is an uphill battle, doesn't imply defeatism. It means I have to do all I can. But I'm a realist. It also means I have to recognize I am but a small part of a much larger problem, and I can't solve it by myself. Instead of letting myself get discouraged, I think of the story about the guy on a beach that was littered with stranded sand dollars. The guy was throwing some of them back in the water, and a passerby told him he was wasting his time, that he couldn't possibly make a difference. He picked up a sand dollar and said, "I can for this one." That's my philosophy of teaching. Uphill battles are worth fighting. Choosing the tough road makes one tough. Taking the easy way out is mediocrity on parade. Interestingly, I think we agree about the importance of work ethic. You just have a problem with my phrasing.

Blacks Must Confront Reality

LeishaC Wrote: Aug 27, 2014 8:49 AM
I teach high school English in a large urban district with a wide range of ethnicities. From my 13 years of experience, I can say that the largest factor in a student's success is family stability. Race has nothing to do with it, except the largest proportion of students from single parent homes are my black students. But single parents often have to work two jobs (or more) and don't have time to read to their kids much, or impart the value of education. Perhaps that's because they are often barely high school graduates themselves. Some kids, of all ethnicities, decide for themselves that education is their ticket out of poverty, but too many are seduced into making the same mistakes as their parents. I do what I can to love on them and show them a way out, but it's fighting an uphill battle.
North Carolina is a deeply confused state. You'll be shocked to find out how many of those seemingly-conservative people are lifelong Democrats when it comes to voting. Also, the tax structure in NC is insane, because the Dems are deeply entrenched in state and local government. However, there seems to be a conservative movement growing. Hope you can help turn the tide.
Well, I don't have to post a comment now, because you said exactly what I was going to say! Great minds, as they say...

An Open Letter to the False Church

LeishaC Wrote: Aug 25, 2014 3:48 PM
The God I serve is not that capricious. You misunderstand God's heart. The reason he gave Adam and Eve a choice in the Garden is that he wanted to be wanted. He is a relational being (even his existence is relational -- the Trinity), and he wanted the joy of being chosen. That's why the love of family is wonderful, but the love of one who chooses you is light years better. He did that, knowing that it would cause him heartache -- we all know the sting of rejection -- but the joy of those chosen relationships makes it worth it.

An Open Letter to the False Church

LeishaC Wrote: Aug 25, 2014 3:44 PM
If it could be proven, there would be no need for faith.

An Open Letter to the False Church

LeishaC Wrote: Aug 25, 2014 1:17 PM
YOU say it's fallible. I say it's a book given by Almighty God, and if he can create the world and everything in it, he can certainly make sure that his words are written down correctly. It would be a pretty capricious God to make your eternal destination dependent on your choice to follow him, and then not give you the correct instructions. Perhaps you should quit throwing rocks at believers and go read it for yourself.

An Open Letter to the False Church

LeishaC Wrote: Aug 25, 2014 1:14 PM
He didn't say it -- Jesus did. Take it up with him. Oh, and they're "tenets" not "tenants." Tenants are renters.

An Open Letter to the False Church

LeishaC Wrote: Aug 25, 2014 1:13 PM
"The Heavens declare the Glory of God." and "All who seek me will find me." Every person is born with the need to know what "more" there is. Even without hearing the Gospel from men, I believe the Holy Spirit has the ability to draw those to Christ who earnestly seek him.

An Open Letter to the False Church

LeishaC Wrote: Aug 25, 2014 1:11 PM
If you believe that God is who He says He is, then the Bible we have is the Bible He meant us to have. There is nothing "incorrect" about the text, only in how men interpret it.

An Open Letter to the False Church

LeishaC Wrote: Aug 25, 2014 1:09 PM
Of what "crimes" do you suppose Israel is guilty?