After the grisly massacre in Colorado no one will attend weekend showings of The Dark Knight Rises with expectations of a rollicking, uplifting, feel-good night at the movies. But even before its association with horrifying images of real-life mass murder, this final installment in the current Batman series suffered from serious deficiencies in terms of its fun factor. It’s wrong to suggest that the movie provoked the killings in its midnight Aurora premiere, but those crimes do, in a sense, expose the nihilistic darkness at the heart of the film...
If they can afford $40+ to see a movie, then they can afford a babysitter, and if they can't, then don't go out. Wait till the movie comes out on video. Taking a 6 year old to a midnight violent, loud movie was not about the desire to supervise, it's about instant selfish gratification.
Editors' note: this column originally appeared at the Daily Beast.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Video: Happy (The Remy Tax Day Edition) Mary Katharine Ham 3 hours ago
- Should Mike Anderson III go free? Mary Katharine Ham 4 hours ago
- Krauthammer: Can we all remember that we have added $7 trillion to the debt in 5 years, please? Erika Johnsen 5 hours ago
- State legislators: Hey, you know what we really need right now? More federal land! Erika Johnsen 6 hours ago
- CBO: ObamaCare premiums and healthcare spending will rise by less than expected, because… Erika Johnsen 6 hours ago