After the grisly massacre in Colorado no one will attend weekend showings of The Dark Knight Rises with expectations of a rollicking, uplifting, feel-good night at the movies. But even before its association with horrifying images of real-life mass murder, this final installment in the current Batman series suffered from serious deficiencies in terms of its fun factor. It’s wrong to suggest that the movie provoked the killings in its midnight Aurora premiere, but those crimes do, in a sense, expose the nihilistic darkness at the heart of the film...
If they can afford $40+ to see a movie, then they can afford a babysitter, and if they can't, then don't go out. Wait till the movie comes out on video. Taking a 6 year old to a midnight violent, loud movie was not about the desire to supervise, it's about instant selfish gratification.
Editors' note: this column originally appeared at the Daily Beast.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Super: NASA’s asteroid avoidance program is on par with the rest of the federal government Mary Katharine Ham 3 hours ago
- Adrian Peterson: “I am, without a doubt, not a child abuser.” Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- Video: Florida mom arrested, charged with child neglect for letting her seven-year-old have a sip of whiskey Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Officer in Daniele Watts handcuff incident was responding to a call Jazz Shaw 5 hours ago
- Friendly reminder: Republicans could absolutely fail to win the Senate Guy Benson 5 hours ago