After the grisly massacre in Colorado no one will attend weekend showings of The Dark Knight Rises with expectations of a rollicking, uplifting, feel-good night at the movies. But even before its association with horrifying images of real-life mass murder, this final installment in the current Batman series suffered from serious deficiencies in terms of its fun factor. It’s wrong to suggest that the movie provoked the killings in its midnight Aurora premiere, but those crimes do, in a sense, expose the nihilistic darkness at the heart of the film...
If they can afford $40+ to see a movie, then they can afford a babysitter, and if they can't, then don't go out. Wait till the movie comes out on video. Taking a 6 year old to a midnight violent, loud movie was not about the desire to supervise, it's about instant selfish gratification.
Editors' note: this column originally appeared at the Daily Beast.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Video: IRS agents who didn’t pay their taxes get $1 million in bonuses Mary Katharine Ham 9 hours ago
- Most popular guy in the Party of Fair Share to endorse tax cheat for 23rd term Mary Katharine Ham 9 hours ago
- Oh, good: The EPA finally, retroactively lowers a 2013 biofuels requirement to reflect the fact that the required biofuels did not actually exist Erika Johnsen 10 hours ago
- The Scalia – Sotomayor Thunderdome Jazz Shaw 11 hours ago
- AP reporter to State Dep’t spokesman: Seriously, can you identify a single accomplishment since 2010? Allahpundit 11 hours ago