Sometimes it feels as if America is living through an Armageddon movie. We struggle with a destabilized economy, soaring national debt, an overburdened entitlement system, looming tax hikes, widespread unemployment, class warfare, ongoing wars, the threats of global terror and a nuclear Iran, and internal division and scandals, from "Fast and Furious" to the massacre in Benghazi, Libya....
I spent this past weekend in Staten Island helping with the relief effort. My wife's best friend's parents live there a few blocks from the beach. The water filled their basement and came up just above the baseboards on the first floor which is about 4 feet above ground level. As you walk toward the beach, the houses get worse and worse with many marked with red signs forbidding entry due to structural damage or other unsafe conditions. The houses that can be saved need to be cleared out and gutted so that they can start drying up to prevent mold from setting in. Many already had piles of muddy furniture, appliances, carpets and building materials lining the curb out front between the flooded out cars waiting to be towed.
With the troubling devastation of Hurricane Sandy on our nation's doorstep -- and so many people in need of food, shelter and emergency services after the storm -- I encourage Americans to reach out to our neighbors and help them through this challenging time.
- Investigation reveals Obamacare is a fraudster’s dream come true Noah Rothman 39 minutes ago
- Ukraine rebel leader: Yeah, we had a BUK system — and sent it back to Russia Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Did Cuomo obstruct his own anti-corruption crusade? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Planned Parenthood teen sex education: You could get tied to a tree … Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Paul Ryan, 2016? Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Obama: I don’t watch the news because I usually already know the stuff they’re reporting Allahpundit 3 hours ago