Sometimes it feels as if America is living through an Armageddon movie. We struggle with a destabilized economy, soaring national debt, an overburdened entitlement system, looming tax hikes, widespread unemployment, class warfare, ongoing wars, the threats of global terror and a nuclear Iran, and internal division and scandals, from "Fast and Furious" to the massacre in Benghazi, Libya....
I spent this past weekend in Staten Island helping with the relief effort. My wife's best friend's parents live there a few blocks from the beach. The water filled their basement and came up just above the baseboards on the first floor which is about 4 feet above ground level. As you walk toward the beach, the houses get worse and worse with many marked with red signs forbidding entry due to structural damage or other unsafe conditions. The houses that can be saved need to be cleared out and gutted so that they can start drying up to prevent mold from setting in. Many already had piles of muddy furniture, appliances, carpets and building materials lining the curb out front between the flooded out cars waiting to be towed.
With the troubling devastation of Hurricane Sandy on our nation's doorstep -- and so many people in need of food, shelter and emergency services after the storm -- I encourage Americans to reach out to our neighbors and help them through this challenging time.
- Chris McDaniel appeal rejected in state supreme court Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Video: Palin-bashing CNN anchor claimed Michelle Obama signed bill into law Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Everything is changing after Ferguson, and it should Jazz Shaw 4 hours ago
- The Marysville school shooting was politicized in about, oh… three minutes Jazz Shaw 5 hours ago
- Hillarynomics: Businesses don’t create jobs Ed Morrissey 7 hours ago
- Christie, Cuomo enact stricter travel restrictions as new patient showed symptoms in NJ, tests negative Jazz Shaw 8 hours ago