Sometimes it feels as if America is living through an Armageddon movie. We struggle with a destabilized economy, soaring national debt, an overburdened entitlement system, looming tax hikes, widespread unemployment, class warfare, ongoing wars, the threats of global terror and a nuclear Iran, and internal division and scandals, from "Fast and Furious" to the massacre in Benghazi, Libya....
I spent this past weekend in Staten Island helping with the relief effort. My wife's best friend's parents live there a few blocks from the beach. The water filled their basement and came up just above the baseboards on the first floor which is about 4 feet above ground level. As you walk toward the beach, the houses get worse and worse with many marked with red signs forbidding entry due to structural damage or other unsafe conditions. The houses that can be saved need to be cleared out and gutted so that they can start drying up to prevent mold from setting in. Many already had piles of muddy furniture, appliances, carpets and building materials lining the curb out front between the flooded out cars waiting to be towed.
With the troubling devastation of Hurricane Sandy on our nation's doorstep -- and so many people in need of food, shelter and emergency services after the storm -- I encourage Americans to reach out to our neighbors and help them through this challenging time.
- RNC Chairman talks tactics, the GOP’s technological gap, and how the March for Life “was a little bit of a wake-up call” Dustin Siggins 54 minutes ago
- Super-sized: Man loses 56 lbs eating nothing but McDonald’s Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Uh oh: Reports claim Ukrainian air force base in Sevastopol has been stormed by pro-Russian forces Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- McCain: I want Ted Cruz to apologize to Bob Dole Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Shock poll: Americans overwhelmingly favor building the Keystone XL pipeline Erika Johnsen 4 hours ago
- Obama: Everyone wants a little R-S-P-E-C-T Allahpundit 5 hours ago