I remember sitting at the dinner table with my parents at 8 years old. During that season, the “no elbows on the table” rule was in full force. In addition, my mother constantly chided me for using slang as opposed to proper English. Those 3-4 years seemed like hell on earth, Nonetheless, years later, I could trace my success in school to my family dinner table and a few great teachers. My parents always said, “For a black man to do half as well, he must be twice as good!” For them, education was almost a “sacred privilege” which had been...
My wife and I made our children read for a minimum of one hour a day and if you missed a day the next day was doubled. Once our son missed two days in a row when we added the extra hour on to his time he sat to read for three hours in one sitting, my son never missed another day again. He graduated high school has a job and reads on a daily basis, now he reads for hours at a time.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Of course: 2014 Obama’s position on Ex-Im Bank is the opposite of 2008 Obama’s Mary Katharine Ham 3 hours ago
- Wes Clark: Clinton had an opportunity to go in on the ground to get Bin Laden but it was “a lot of logistics” Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- I guess we need to talk about Joe Biden skinny dipping, huh? Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Obama: This congressional deadlock on immigration means “I’m going to have to act alone” Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- TEMS Friday: Guest hosting the Hugh Hewitt Show Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago