I remember sitting at the dinner table with my parents at 8 years old. During that season, the “no elbows on the table” rule was in full force. In addition, my mother constantly chided me for using slang as opposed to proper English. Those 3-4 years seemed like hell on earth, Nonetheless, years later, I could trace my success in school to my family dinner table and a few great teachers. My parents always said, “For a black man to do half as well, he must be twice as good!” For them, education was almost a “sacred privilege” which had been...
My wife and I made our children read for a minimum of one hour a day and if you missed a day the next day was doubled. Once our son missed two days in a row when we added the extra hour on to his time he sat to read for three hours in one sitting, my son never missed another day again. He graduated high school has a job and reads on a daily basis, now he reads for hours at a time.
- LA Senate poll: Landrieu stuck in the mid-40′s, undecideds strongly disapprove of Obama Guy Benson 50 mins ago
- Luis Gutierrez: I have a duty to protect America, which is why I can’t support a border security bill Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Iowa’s Joni Ernst isn’t out yet: New poll shows her with a majority support Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Gates: No “hope of success” against ISIS without boots on the ground Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Audio: Joe Biden being Joe Biden, Jewish outreach edition; Update: “Poor choice of words” Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Benghazi hearings about to force the press to pay attention Noah Rothman 4 hours ago