The reason, we are told, is a change that Republicans have previously rejected but Democrats and Latino groups see as indispensable: a procedure for illegal immigrants to become legal residents and, eventually, citizens. Critics call it "amnesty" and say it will spur illegal immigration as surely as...
'we've been there done that'. And how/why are they going to all of a sudden develop the capability to find these illegals and fine them. They are lying through their teeth. The congress has two powerful constituenciencies at the heart of this. The first are the employers that like the cheap labor. The second is the welfare state consisting of those that draw a government check instead of working, the bureaucracy that mails that check, and the politicians that the other two vote for. Did the Senators mention the real problem?
To hear opponents tell it, you don't want to be standing along the U.S. border when an immigration reform bill becomes law. Millions of foreigners who were previously content in their native lands will hear about it, pack a bag and storm across the U.S. border, trampling anyone unlucky enough to be in the way.
- Video: Inside the leak of the Tsarnaev capture photos Ed Morrissey 39 minutes ago
- New Hillary memoir to be titled “Hard Choices”? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Protip from Reid: Bundy supporters are “domestic terrorists,” y’know Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Video: Ukraine deal not exactly embraced by either side Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- Media Matters not super-keen on SEIU unionizing its employees Mary Katharine Ham 13 hours ago