The reason, we are told, is a change that Republicans have previously rejected but Democrats and Latino groups see as indispensable: a procedure for illegal immigrants to become legal residents and, eventually, citizens. Critics call it "amnesty" and say it will spur illegal immigration as surely as...
'we've been there done that'. And how/why are they going to all of a sudden develop the capability to find these illegals and fine them. They are lying through their teeth. The congress has two powerful constituenciencies at the heart of this. The first are the employers that like the cheap labor. The second is the welfare state consisting of those that draw a government check instead of working, the bureaucracy that mails that check, and the politicians that the other two vote for. Did the Senators mention the real problem?
To hear opponents tell it, you don't want to be standing along the U.S. border when an immigration reform bill becomes law. Millions of foreigners who were previously content in their native lands will hear about it, pack a bag and storm across the U.S. border, trampling anyone unlucky enough to be in the way.
- Does Georgia vote Democratic in 2014? Noah Rothman 42 mins ago
- Martha Coakley’s campaign seems to be in mid-collapse Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Half of Americans willing to pay zero additional dollars for EPA carbon regs Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- Video: Hatchet-wielding attacker has “Islamic extremist leanings” Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- Video: Canada’s Sergeant at Arms gets standing ovation after shooting terrorist while wearing tails Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago