The reason, we are told, is a change that Republicans have previously rejected but Democrats and Latino groups see as indispensable: a procedure for illegal immigrants to become legal residents and, eventually, citizens. Critics call it "amnesty" and say it will spur illegal immigration as surely as...
'we've been there done that'. And how/why are they going to all of a sudden develop the capability to find these illegals and fine them. They are lying through their teeth. The congress has two powerful constituenciencies at the heart of this. The first are the employers that like the cheap labor. The second is the welfare state consisting of those that draw a government check instead of working, the bureaucracy that mails that check, and the politicians that the other two vote for. Did the Senators mention the real problem?
To hear opponents tell it, you don't want to be standing along the U.S. border when an immigration reform bill becomes law. Millions of foreigners who were previously content in their native lands will hear about it, pack a bag and storm across the U.S. border, trampling anyone unlucky enough to be in the way.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Sigh: Busch Gardens removes disembodied heads from Halloween display Mary Katharine Ham 9 hours ago
- Holder running out the clock on Fast & Furious? Ed Morrissey 10 hours ago
- Surge: Walker regains the lead in Wisconsin Guy Benson 11 hours ago
- Gallup: Americans trust in the media matches historic low Noah Rothman 11 hours ago
- Obama’s administration at war with itself over ISIS strategy Noah Rothman 12 hours ago