Today, we're taking a preliminary look at just who owns all the debt issued by the U.S. federal government through 30 September 2012 - the end of the U.S. government's fiscal year. Our chart below visualizes what we found.
The information presented in our chart above is preliminary, as the U.S. Treasury typically revises its foreign entity debt ownership data in March of each year.
Overall, U.S. entities own just 65.8% of all debt issued by the U.S. federal government. Ranking the major U.S. entities from low to high, we find that:
Breaking on TOWNHALL
- Ukrainian President warns joint session of Congress of the ‘new Cold War’ Noah Rothman 31 mins ago
- Open thread: Will Scotland declare independence? Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Syrian rebels openly admit: We’re going to use America’s money to fight Assad, not just ISIS Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- VA: Actually, those secret wait lists did have something to do with the deaths Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- TEMS Thursday: Duane Patterson, Alexandra Jaffe, Eliana Johnson Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Politics of man who sought to firebomb black congressman’s office won’t surprise you Noah Rothman 3 hours ago