Today, we're taking a preliminary look at just who owns all the debt issued by the U.S. federal government through 30 September 2012 - the end of the U.S. government's fiscal year. Our chart below visualizes what we found.
The information presented in our chart above is preliminary, as the U.S. Treasury typically revises its foreign entity debt ownership data in March of each year.
Overall, U.S. entities own just 65.8% of all debt issued by the U.S. federal government. Ranking the major U.S. entities from low to high, we find that:
- Breaking: Pentagon reports first airstrikes in Syria Update: Coalition Arab countries added Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- Issa: Americans deserve to hear from Lerner under oath, not in the press Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- Poll: Plurality now think businesses that provide wedding services should be required to serve gay weddings too Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Poet: I would have died for my aborted daughter’s right to choose, just like she died for mine Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Resurrected monster General Motors is still killing people Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Video: This is the man a malaise-stricken America needs right now Allahpundit 4 hours ago