Today, we're taking a preliminary look at just who owns all the debt issued by the U.S. federal government through 30 September 2012 - the end of the U.S. government's fiscal year. Our chart below visualizes what we found.
The information presented in our chart above is preliminary, as the U.S. Treasury typically revises its foreign entity debt ownership data in March of each year.
Overall, U.S. entities own just 65.8% of all debt issued by the U.S. federal government. Ranking the major U.S. entities from low to high, we find that:
- Obama orders American ‘military advisors’ to support Ukraine against pro-Russian rebels Noah Rothman 48 minutes ago
- “Gas the Jews”: Supporters of Hamas run riot in French city, smash Jewish shops Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Investigation reveals Obamacare is a fraudster’s dream come true Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Ukraine rebel leader: Yeah, we had a BUK system — and sent it back to Russia Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Did Cuomo obstruct his own anti-corruption crusade? Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Planned Parenthood teen sex education: You could get tied to a tree … Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago