Today, we're taking a preliminary look at just who owns all the debt issued by the U.S. federal government through 30 September 2012 - the end of the U.S. government's fiscal year. Our chart below visualizes what we found.
The information presented in our chart above is preliminary, as the U.S. Treasury typically revises its foreign entity debt ownership data in March of each year.
Overall, U.S. entities own just 65.8% of all debt issued by the U.S. federal government. Ranking the major U.S. entities from low to high, we find that:
- U.K. graciously declines to charge parents arrested for trying to save their child’s life Noah Rothman 10 mins ago
- Biden: “It’s time to take back America!” Ed Morrissey 50 mins ago
- Rand Paul: Let’s smash ISIS Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- The obligatory “celebrity nudes hacked” post Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Question for the State Department after Sotloff’s murder: Are we at war with ISIS yet? Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Kerry: Let’s put together a coalition of the willing to defeat ISIS Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago