While everything Dr. Williams regarding tax origination responsibility is true, it's well known that the House has been on a spending binge for quite some time, and the ultimate responsibilty falls to the President who has veto power over tax bills passed by Congress.
Within the past decade, I've written columns titled "Deception 101," "Stubborn Ignorance" and "Exploiting Public Ignorance," all explaining which branch of the federal government has taxing and spending authority. So here it is again: The first clause of Article 1, Section 7 of the U.S. Constitution, generally known as the "origination clause," reads: "All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills." Constitutionally and by precedent, the House of Representatives has the exclusive prerogative to originate bills to appropriate money, as well as to raise...
- Video: Sharyl Attkisson wants to know where the illegal immigrant children have gone Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Video: Cruz presser at AFP summit Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Video: Pete Hegseth on VA scandal, ISIS threat at AFP’s Defending the Dream summit Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago
- California Dem moves to outlaw some civilian body armor Jazz Shaw 5 hours ago
- Don’t count Rob Ford out just yet Jazz Shaw 7 hours ago
- New York’s new gun laws returning unexpected results Jazz Shaw 8 hours ago