Republicans like to push the line that 'liberals' forced the military to 'keep the gloves on' when fighting an insurgency during the Bush 'Reign of Error.' General Petraeus's technique of effective counterinsurgency is to keep the gloves on. For example, take the Allied invasion of Sicily in 1943. If there are 50,000 Germans on Sicily and we inflict 20,000 German casualties then that means there are 30,000 Germans left to fight. When fighting an insurgency this is not the case. Much of it depends on what 'motivates' civilians to become an insurgent. This is the core of Petraeus's' technique. Say you are fighting 5,000 insurgents and you kill 3,000. How many are left? Maybe 2000, maybe 10,000, or maybe 0.
Congatulations, Mr. President. You fought this election out on your principles and your ground -- the politics of identity, whether ethnic, class or partisan -- and prevailed. Early in the night. There was no contested cliffhanger. There was no extended legal struggle a la Bush v. Gore in 2000, the presidential election that threatened never to end. There are no demands that the Electoral College be abandoned in favor of some French-style popular vote. And no hard feelings. At least no more than the usual cavils. Call it a happy ending. Four More Years! Though they may be only four more...
- New study shows casual pot use connected to brain abnormalities Ed Morrissey 29 minutes ago
- Minnesota to outsource ObamaCare exchange management to private sector Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Kansas Dems reportedly trying to recruit … Kathleen Sebelius for Senate Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Lerner, DoJ discussed criminal prosecution of tax-exempt applicants Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Video: Ukrainian forces advancing in east as showdown nears Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Detroit cuts deal with retired first responders on pensions Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago