Jonathan put it better: "Well, let's say that single mothers are more vulnerable to economic shocks and are more concerned about the safety net." Much more diplomatic. Single voters were...
When LBJ passed his War on Poverty, paying unwed mothers for the number of children they were producing, Daniel Moynihan said, "This will spell the end of the black family." LBJ meanwhile said that his welfare program would have the blacks voting Democrat for the rest of their lives. Both were correct. Here we are today, and Mona Charen is absolutely right in her column. Reproduction is now a career path.
Discussing the role of single people in the election of 2012 on my weekly podcast with Jay Nordlinger "Need to Know" (available on Ricochet.com or Nationalreview.com), your humble columnist chose the insensitive way to address it. Chatting with Jonathan V. Last of The Weekly Standard about his piece "A Nation of Singles," I popped off that "Single mothers want the state to be their husbands and father to their children."
- New flier from Georgia Democrats: You must vote in November to … prevent another Ferguson Allahpundit 17 mins ago
- The (still) shifting transcripts of the President’s remarks Jazz Shaw 57 mins ago
- Bombshell: Mark Pryor called desegregation of schools a ‘figurative’ invasion Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Homeland Security announces new travel restrictions on Ebola countries that, er, aren’t so new Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- TEMS Tuesday: Andrew Malcolm and the big return Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Monica Lewinsky: I was patient zero in Internet bullying Allahpundit 2 hours ago