Am I the only one who thinks it is immoral to bring children into the world if you don't have the means to support them? I must be one of the few. I rarely see anyone else make the point. Before anyone objects, let me concede up front that a lot of things in life are unpredictable. Women become pregnant despite their best efforts to avoid it. Women can lose their husbands from accidents, war and even homicide. Few of us have a tenured job. Few of us are safe from the economic reversal that would attend the loss of a...
Daniel Moynihan said, after LBJ signed the War on Poverty into law and welfare mothers became a reality, that this would spell the end for the black family. He was right, to a point. It has spelled the end of any chance children born to a welfare mother have of being properly parented. I taught for 35 years in a district where grandmothers and aunties did their best to raise the babies born to teenage mothers. By the time these babies reached their teen years, there was often a lot of resentment in them and they had been socially promoted without the basic skills to succeed in high school. Lose-lose, but we're still paying for welfare mothers.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Video: “The Newsroom” final season invites you to relive hackneyed debates of 2013 Mary Katharine Ham 5 hours ago
- Video: First case of Ebola found in the US Ed Morrissey 6 hours ago
- Romney on 2016: “We’ve got a lot of people looking at the race. We’ll see what happens.” Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- NFL apologizes for penalizing player who prayed in end zone Jeff Dunetz 8 hours ago
- Should the next AG be … Republican? Ed Morrissey 8 hours ago