Ferguson, the 'Local Crime Story'

Kurt114 Wrote: 17 hours ago (10:32 AM)
We live in a time when truth is incompatible with polite and accepted discourse. Telling the truth is considered coarse. Lying is considered sophisticated. Up is down, and down is up. Without honestly defining problems, those problems cannot be effectively addressed. Our government just chases its tail while enriching itself in the process.

An Inconvenient Law

Kurt114 Wrote: 17 hours ago (10:26 AM)
..... and the GOP leadership will not stop him.
Mitt Romney is a good man. However, he isn't what the Country needs right now. Too much of a gentleman. We need a fighter. We need a George Patton.
Maybe it's because white's tend to view themselves as individuals, and blacks tend to view themselves as part of a group, but I'm not comfortable viewing myself as part of the subset of whites, and I don't say things like "my people" or "my community". Making distinctions between and judgments about people based on ethnicity rather than character makes me uncomfortable. Events over the term of this President, though, have me thinking. It seems clear that "my community" pays most of the individual taxes, receives less of the benefit from those taxes, is viewed as a gang of oppressors even as they subsidize those who claim to be oppressed, and that "my community" clearly does not receive equal protection under the law. The media has been despicable. "Mostly peaceful" protesters? I remember when someone had a sign with racist overtones at a Tea Party protest, and that is still proof positive among the HuffPo crowd that all Tea Partiers are racist. Violence and hate among the "mostly peaceful" protesters is "understandable", anger over burdensome taxes and overreaching government is "terrorism". It is crystal clear a powerful political ideology is attempting to shape events and perceptions. I fear that extremism be beget extremism.

What Racially Biased Policing Looks Like

Kurt114 Wrote: 19 hours ago (8:53 AM)
You mean the police target their energies where the criminal activity tends to be? I am shocked! They should be restricted to conducting random searches, like the TSA at any airport, right? Treat Abdul the same as Grandma Emma. Chapman really needs to move on to HuffPo. I went to college in a city where I was constantly pulled over. Beat up car, check. Long hair, check. Rock station sticker, check. It really torqued me off at the time. When I grew up I bought a home and raised a family in that city, because I realized the police there were keeping people safe. I was pulled over once in 20 years, once I didn't look like a thug anymore. Mr. Chapman, welcome to the real world where most of us live. When you find your utopia let us know where it is. Libs focus on how things should be, Conservatives focus on how things are. Mr. Chapman defines himself with each column he writes.

What Racially Biased Policing Looks Like

Kurt114 Wrote: 19 hours ago (8:42 AM)
Johnny, your column makes a lot more sense, and is better supported, than Chapman's. Good job.
Fine. Flood us. Maybe if it gets bad enough people will wake up.

Obama's Immigration Order Dispels Fear

Kurt114 Wrote: Nov 23, 2014 8:24 PM
Mr. Chapman has no idea what he is talking about. Interior enforcement has already been gutted. Obama is actively facilitating illegal immigration now.

Ferguson, the Verdict is….

Kurt114 Wrote: Nov 16, 2014 7:08 AM
While it's fun to theorize about the causes and solutions, none of that changes the reality of the situation. We all agree that racism exists. However, we seem, as a society, unwilling to acknowledge the depth and extent of Black racism. As anyone who has attended "cultural diversity training" can attest, criticism of Whites is considered an indication of enlightenment. Criticism of any other race is considered, well, racism. There is always one naïve person who doesn't understand the rules and gets stomped on by the presenters. Fun to watch. One quickly realizes that the way to survive this training is to keep ones mouth shut and nod approvingly. My personal response was to move to an area where Scandinavians are the largest minority. My local taxes no longer go to people who think I am oppressing them as I finance their lifestyle with the fruit of my labor. It gets pretty rowdy at hockey games, but nobody here is gearing up for civil unrest over the pending Ferguson grand jury decision.
Mary, spot on correct.