Those critics have less influence all the time. Some 18 states permit medical use of marijuana, and in November, Colorado and Washington voted to allow recreational use. Nationally, support for legalization is steadily rising. A decade ago, one of every three Americans favored the idea. Today, nearly half do -- and among those under 50, a large...
his response is the opposite of that exhibited by drivers under the influence of alcohol, who tend to drive in a more risky manner proportional to their intoxication.[United Kingdom's Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs. The Classification of Cannabis Under the Misuse of Drugs Act of 1971. 2002: See specifically: Chapter 4, Section 4.3.5: "Cannabis differs from alcohol; ... it seems not to increase risk-taking behavior. This may explain why it appears to play a smaller role than alcohol in road traffic accidents."]
As recreational drugs go, marijuana is relatively benign. Unlike alcohol, it doesn't stimulate violence or destroy livers. Unlike tobacco, it doesn't cause lung cancer and heart disease. The worst you can say is that it produces intense, unreasoning panic. Not in users, but in critics.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Your feel good video of the weekend, with Reince and DWS Jazz Shaw 13 hours ago
- Noted internet gambling critic has interesting gaming history Jazz Shaw 14 hours ago
- 2014’s ‘Clinton Democrats’ crashing and burning Noah Rothman 16 hours ago
- The Democrats’ embarrassing attempt to blame Republican for Ebola collapses Noah Rothman 17 hours ago
- NFL Week 7 open thread Ed Morrissey 19 hours ago