Those critics have less influence all the time. Some 18 states permit medical use of marijuana, and in November, Colorado and Washington voted to allow recreational use. Nationally, support for legalization is steadily rising. A decade ago, one of every three Americans favored the idea. Today, nearly half do -- and among those under 50, a large...
But, unlike with alcohol, the accident risk caused by cannabis, particularly among those who are not acutely intoxicated, appears limited because subjects under its influence are generally aware of their impairment and compensate to some extent, such as by slowing down and by focusing their attention when they know a response will be required. [Allison Smiley. Marijuana: On-Road and Driving Simulator Studies]
As recreational drugs go, marijuana is relatively benign. Unlike alcohol, it doesn't stimulate violence or destroy livers. Unlike tobacco, it doesn't cause lung cancer and heart disease. The worst you can say is that it produces intense, unreasoning panic. Not in users, but in critics.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- Menendez – Looks like we don’t have the votes for that immigration bill after all Jazz Shaw 8 hours ago
- America in decline – Bars selling rubbing alcohol as “scotch” Jazz Shaw 9 hours ago
- Regarding Lois Lerner, who does the Bill of Rights protect? Jazz Shaw 11 hours ago
- Oh, good: Iranian hackers trying to break into the American energy grid Erika Johnsen 12 hours ago
- Reason: Will ObamaCare and patent attacks kill medical innovation? Ed Morrissey 14 hours ago