What President Obama has been pushing for, and moving toward, is more insidious: government control of the economy, while leaving ownership in private hands. That way, politicians get to call the shots but, when their bright ideas lead to disaster, they...
With all due respect Dr. Sowell I must disagree with your choice of terms. Historically socialism has been, and still is, the control of putatively private industry by government while it is communism that is defined by government ownership of industry. Facism is a coercive methodology used by governments, and too often, social or political movements to establish and maintain control in the business and social arenas. Political correctness is one stark example of facism under this definition while the fallen U.S.S.R. exemplifies state ownership of industry. Russia is currently moving from its democratic period into a reign of socialism that may well culminate in the re-establishment of communism.
It bothers me a little when conservatives call Barack Obama a "socialist." He certainly is an enemy of the free market, and wants politicians and bureaucrats to make the fundamental decisions about the economy. But that does not mean that he wants government ownership of the means of production, which has long been a standard definition of socialism.
- CPAC: Fred Thompson and Persecuted Ed Morrissey 24 minutes ago
- WH: Hey, Obama golfing in Key Largo during this crisis is the same as if he were in DC, only warmer Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Rand Paul working to get David Jolly over the finish line in FL-13 special Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- CPAC: Daniel Hannan and the origins of liberty Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago
- Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- Quote of the day Allahpundit 17 hours ago