What President Obama has been pushing for, and moving toward, is more insidious: government control of the economy, while leaving ownership in private hands. That way, politicians get to call the shots but, when their bright ideas lead to disaster, they...
With all due respect Dr. Sowell I must disagree with your choice of terms. Historically socialism has been, and still is, the control of putatively private industry by government while it is communism that is defined by government ownership of industry. Facism is a coercive methodology used by governments, and too often, social or political movements to establish and maintain control in the business and social arenas. Political correctness is one stark example of facism under this definition while the fallen U.S.S.R. exemplifies state ownership of industry. Russia is currently moving from its democratic period into a reign of socialism that may well culminate in the re-establishment of communism.
It bothers me a little when conservatives call Barack Obama a "socialist." He certainly is an enemy of the free market, and wants politicians and bureaucrats to make the fundamental decisions about the economy. But that does not mean that he wants government ownership of the means of production, which has long been a standard definition of socialism.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Sotloff “fixer”: Americans never contacted me after his abduction Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- David Cameron to Scotland: Baby, don’t go. Mary Katharine Ham 3 hours ago
- Confirmed: You can tell someone’s politics by their body odor Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Oh my: I think Romney’s going to run, says top Wall Street backer Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Election forecasters bearish on GOP? Senate models looking more Democratic by the day Noah Rothman 5 hours ago