Huge pensions for retired government workers can be found from small municipalities to national governments on both sides of the Atlantic. There is a reason. For elected officials, pensions are virtually the ideal thing to spend money on, politically speaking. Many kinds of spending of the taxpayers' money win votes from the recipients. But...
It is amasing how people on this site whine and complain about government workers being paid pensions. Government workers work like everybody else. Let policeman stop coming to your accidents and burglaries, let fireman stop coming and your house burn down and then we'll see how you whine. Put your life on the line day in and day out. Let it snow and no one plows your street. Let the government shut down and you not get mail and see how you whine. I'll also add the government workers are tax paiders too
A nation's choice between spending on military defense and spending on civilian goods has often been posed as "guns versus butter." But understanding the choices of many nations' political leaders might be helped by examining the contrast between their runaway spending on pensions while skimping on military defense.
- Video: Rick Perry brings down the house at CPAC Allahpundit 14 minutes ago
- Bernie Sanders is “prepared to run for President” Jazz Shaw 54 minutes ago
- Massachusetts set to ban “upskirt” photos after court ruling Dustin Siggins 1 hour ago
- February jobs report – 175,000 jobs added, 6.7% unemployment Steve Eggleston 2 hours ago
- CPAC: Cruz meets the bloggers; Update: CPAC speech added Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- New education plan: Take the “tricky vocabulary” out of the SAT exam Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago