Huge pensions for retired government workers can be found from small municipalities to national governments on both sides of the Atlantic. There is a reason. For elected officials, pensions are virtually the ideal thing to spend money on, politically speaking. Many kinds of spending of the taxpayers' money win votes from the recipients. But...
It is amasing how people on this site whine and complain about government workers being paid pensions. Government workers work like everybody else. Let policeman stop coming to your accidents and burglaries, let fireman stop coming and your house burn down and then we'll see how you whine. Put your life on the line day in and day out. Let it snow and no one plows your street. Let the government shut down and you not get mail and see how you whine. I'll also add the government workers are tax paiders too
A nation's choice between spending on military defense and spending on civilian goods has often been posed as "guns versus butter." But understanding the choices of many nations' political leaders might be helped by examining the contrast between their runaway spending on pensions while skimping on military defense.
- Rally point: Should Obama start talking about combat forces now? Ed Morrissey 10 mins ago
- International community concerned America violating international law by striking Syria? Noah Rothman 51 mins ago
- Jihadi social media: Khorasan Group leader Muhsin al-Fadhli killed in U.S. airstrikes in Syria Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- NYT: On second thought, Bush did pull together a coalition on Iraq Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- U.S. had Assad’s cooperation during strikes on targets in Syria Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Open thread: War president to address nation after targeting ISIS, Khorasan in Syria Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago