Huge pensions for retired government workers can be found from small municipalities to national governments on both sides of the Atlantic. There is a reason. For elected officials, pensions are virtually the ideal thing to spend money on, politically speaking. Many kinds of spending of the taxpayers' money win votes from the recipients. But...
It is amasing how people on this site whine and complain about government workers being paid pensions. Government workers work like everybody else. Let policeman stop coming to your accidents and burglaries, let fireman stop coming and your house burn down and then we'll see how you whine. Put your life on the line day in and day out. Let it snow and no one plows your street. Let the government shut down and you not get mail and see how you whine. I'll also add the government workers are tax paiders too
A nation's choice between spending on military defense and spending on civilian goods has often been posed as "guns versus butter." But understanding the choices of many nations' political leaders might be helped by examining the contrast between their runaway spending on pensions while skimping on military defense.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Hensarling: It’s time to end the Ex-Im Bank Ed Morrissey 6 hours ago
- Got room for one more crisis? In Pakistan, protesters threaten government’s stability Noah Rothman 8 hours ago
- Engel: Military officials “apoplectic” over Obama’s “no-strategy” comment Ed Morrissey 10 hours ago
- The Democratic revolt continues: Key senator calls for Obama to arm Ukraine Noah Rothman 12 hours ago
- Nearly two years after Benghazi, American embassy in Libya’s capital falls to Islamists Noah Rothman 14 hours ago