Iran signed the UN's Universal Declaration of Human Rights as long ago as 1948. That's when Iran was ruled by the Shah. That UNDHR...
Every time I read something about the U.S. leaving the U.N. or something calling for the expulsion of some state from the U.N. I am reminded of one simple fact. As long as we are members, we have a voice. As long as even rogue states are members, they have something to lose if they are expelled. A voice... we have a means of putting our side of things out for the U.N. to consider. If we leave, we lose that lever. If we expel a state for whatever reason, the last method of even slight control over them is lost. If they have nothing to lose, they have nothing to explain and no reason to conform to U.N. protocols. These levers may be small, but they are better than nothing...much better.
Every fall, it seems, Americans are subjected to the ugly spectacle of Iran's Mahmoud Ahmadinejad coming to New York to address the UN General Assembly. There, at the podium, he is placed on a par with President Obama, Prime Minister David Cameron, France's Francois Hollande, and other leaders of civilized states. Ahmadinejad has used this podium to spew his anti-American, anti-Israel hatred. And yet he receives hearty applause from the Islamist delegates seated before him.
- Rand Paul to Ted Cruz: Stop mischaracterizing my foreign policy views Allahpundit 13 minutes ago
- Video: Feds probing Maryland ObamaCare exchange Ed Morrissey 54 minutes ago
- Nancy Pelosi: A Republican friend of mine told me that his party is “indifferent” to “really hungry children,” you know Erika Johnsen 1 hour ago
- Nudity, prudity, and double standards on cable television Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Funny or die: Obama pitches ObamaCare to Zach Galifianakis; Update: Goal achieved Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Netanyahu: PA has to recognize Israel as a Jewish state Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago