Lebanon: Lessons from Two Assassinations

Kiffur Wrote: Nov 19, 2012 6:49 PM
Thank you for a very thorough disection of an incredibly convoluted series of events.

Best Foot Forward?

Kiffur Wrote: Nov 19, 2012 5:41 PM
Ms. Charen, I especially appreciate your last two sentences! Warren Buffet, George Clooney, and Cher want to agitate for higher taxes? Fine, give them their wishes. Just make sure such taxes affect them, and not the hardware store owner, the small diner owner, the mom-and-pop store owner, etc., etc., etc. You know. The small business entrepreneur who forms the backbone of this country.

Where to Adjust, Where to Stand Firm

Kiffur Wrote: Nov 19, 2012 5:21 PM
Dear Roy, Please explain - without shouting - how "Obama's lies" did not work for him. Seems to me they worked very well, at least they worked for anyone who did not do his homework, and discover from his proior voting pattern, his political friends, and his own autobiographical words that he was scarcely the non-partisan moderate he claimed to be. Thus, many were taken by surprise when his far left agenda was suddenly more evident. So why do you say his pretending to be a moderate didn't work for him???
Whoa! How did this response of mine wind up here? It was NOT meant as a response to Beethovens10th, but as a response to "binc", who wrote: "I have had the displeasure of knowing quite a few good little practicing Catholic girls that had abortions. The hypocrisy goes across all faiths, not just evangelicals." on Nov 13, 2012 9:39 AM. My response to you, Beethoven, which appears lost and may appear at a later time, was that I agreed with you; a young woman raised a Catholic who had an abortion and did not repent of the same would no longer be a "practising" Catholic in the eyes of the Church, even if she still paid lip service by going to Mass - at least, as far as I know from Cathechism class.
And what is truly horrifying is that the history of black families from the end of the Civil War through to the so-called "Great Society" showed higher levels of unbroken, two-parent households and lower levels of illegitimacy than among whites. Therewas also a strong and growing middle class. How could this country have stood by while one of its greatest assests - the black middle class entrepreneur - was almost wiped out of existence?
Hmmm. Interesting. A practising Catholic myself, and of the female variety, I don't know a single "practising Catholic" who has had an abortion. Note, I'm not saying they don't exist; a distraught young woman might indeed take this path and only later realize the significance of her choice, repent, seek forgiveness, and return to the faith. However, I really don't think there are that many *practising* Catholics who automatically turn to murder as the answer to anything. (Also, I can't help but think that your use of the adjectives "good" and "little" to define these "girls" is a deliberate attempt at infantilization. Not a very welcome trait in debating.)
Ummm. No, it doesn't. But thanks for reminding me of something else the consrvatives must do: we must make sure to counter the lies and distortions of the progressives and the liberals no matter where the lies spring up. No more letting ourselves... oh, my goodness. Did I just say that? Guess I did! So long Independent Voter status! Guess I've really cast the die, crossed the Rubicon, climbed the Alps. Oh, well. Back to my post... No more letting ourselves be defined by those who seem to not only oppose our philosophy, but actually hate us for believing.
Agreed. Governor Scott's actions, and his continuing success and strength in Wisconsin - WISCONSIN, of all places, the very birthplace of progressivism!!! - augur well for his being a leading proponent of solid conservative values in the future. And remember: in addition to Governor Scott and the Reagan "heirs" mentioned in this article, there are other young conservatives scattered about the states who are fighting the good fight every day (why no mention of Congressman Allen West or Governor Bobby Jindall, for example??). Can the liberals come up with any team able to match the one that conservatives will be able to field in 2014, 2016, and beyond? Note, too, such a team will NOT be afraid to bring the fight to the opposition

The Right Isn't Waving A White Flag

Kiffur Wrote: Nov 14, 2012 4:01 PM
They not only think things have gotten better, but thanks to the Governor Romney and the GOP not fighting aggressively, and telling the truth to the voters, they STILL blame the economic meltdown on Bush, totally ignoring the part played by a Democratic Congress, Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, and good old Barnie Frank&Co.

The Conservative Insurgency

Kiffur Wrote: Nov 14, 2012 3:13 PM
...with an underlying credo I could believe in. That meant that I seldom voted a straight party ticket. However, the past four years have shown me that, at least for the next few election cycles, it is important to help in any way possible to establish a strong anti-progressive base in this country. I did NOT abandon the intellectual freedom of being an "independent" voter to give my allegiance to a GOP that is nothing more than "Dem-lite". Kurt Schlichter and other columnists on today's TownHall are right. It's time to build a conservative stronghold in the USA.

The Conservative Insurgency

Kiffur Wrote: Nov 14, 2012 3:02 PM
Truth in advertising, as it is, leads me to say that my own preference was for Speaker Gingrich and Herman Cain, in any order they eventually settled on. Either and both could speak truthfully and movingly of the American Dream, and neither could be accused of having no plans for the future of this country. Congresswoman Michelle Bachman, Senator Rick Santorum, Governor Rick Perry, Congressman Ron Paul... all could reach constituencies that Governor Romney could not. Why did the GOP establishment ignore them so completely? ANY of them would have presented more viable conservative credentials than did our chosen candidate. Since I first voted, I have always been a registered Independent, voting the man - or the woman - and the underlying...