If the House Republicans really want to cut spending and reduce the federal government, they have the power to do so through the appropriations process. This would likely result in much of the federal government being shut down for a short period until Obama and the senate Democrats figure out that they are serious. The question is do they have the courage to do so? The deficit exists because the congress authorizes spending that they cannot pay for with revenue. End the practice of "baseline budgeting" and budget based on available revenue. Not all government programs are essential so it should not be assumed that all programs must be funded at prior year levels plus inflation as a minimum.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- WMD in Iraq a rather nuanced issue Ed Morrissey 12 hours ago
- Perry: Rand Paul’s position on Iraq is “disheartening … curiously blind” Ed Morrissey 13 hours ago
- Joni Ernst will miss two weeks on the campaign trail… to serve in uniform Jazz Shaw 15 hours ago
- UN Security Council issues non-binding call for cease fire in Gaza Ed Morrissey 16 hours ago
- UAW decides to skip election and form union at VW anyway Jazz Shaw 18 hours ago