If the House Republicans really want to cut spending and reduce the federal government, they have the power to do so through the appropriations process. This would likely result in much of the federal government being shut down for a short period until Obama and the senate Democrats figure out that they are serious. The question is do they have the courage to do so? The deficit exists because the congress authorizes spending that they cannot pay for with revenue. End the practice of "baseline budgeting" and budget based on available revenue. Not all government programs are essential so it should not be assumed that all programs must be funded at prior year levels plus inflation as a minimum.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- Kochs’ next dastardly deed: Creating good public defenders for low-income accused Mary Katharine Ham 7 hours ago
- Reading the early voting tea leaves: Republicans closing the gap Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- White House to red-state Democrats: Don’t blame Precious if you lose Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- ISIS mortar shells now landing in Baghdad’s Green Zone Noah Rothman 9 hours ago
- SCOTUS to consider police searches of hotel registries Jazz Shaw 10 hours ago