WASHINGTON -- A couple of weeks ago, I elaborated on how Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid had at the time failed for three straight years to write up a budget in the Senate, thereby breaking the law three -- now four -- years running. I said that he should write up a budget in part to inform the citizenry how their tax dollars were being spent. How much was going to the Pentagon and our nation's security? How much was going into green fantasies like Solyndra and payoffs to the Democratic Party's friends. That would be friendly fascism, the left's...
While there should be little doubt that that intent of the 27th amendment was to prevent legislators from raising their pay without the representatives and 1/3 of the Senators having to face their constituents in an election in which they might be fired. The wording doesn't make that clear,and a reduction in pay is in fact varying of the pay just as much as is a raise. The devil is in the details, and whether the proposed withholding of pay is only a delay of payment rather than a real reduction in pay.
- Video: Chris Matthews attempts a do-over during his live show Mary Katharine Ham 24 minutes ago
- FL-13 special election: Jolly wins! Erika Johnsen 53 minutes ago
- Finally: “Frozen,” the honest trailer Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Union leaders: Man, this Keystone XL decision just “reeks of politics” Erika Johnsen 2 hours ago
- McCain on Ted Cruz: Have these self-proclaimed Reagan Republicans forgotten that Reagan gave amnesty to three million illegals? Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Yikes: ObamaCare signups slowed down in February Erika Johnsen 3 hours ago