Knowledge isn't power. Of what use is learning things that are useless? Simply keeping students in school longer will gain them nothing unless that time is spent learning something valuable. I suggest that they spend some time learning things such as mathematics, science, English, history and physical education along with other life skills such as home economics and shop.
Former Obama OMB director Peter Orszag is worried that summer is making American children "dumber and fatter." It takes him a while to concede that the children for whom this is primarily true are those of "low socioeconomic status."
But wait a minute: Back in April,Orszag also called for an end to the 3 pm school day -- for all children.
In other words, in Orszag's world, school should go longer every day AND take place for more of the...
- US ponders military intervention in Syria as well as Iraq Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Friday night document dump: Yet another “accommodation” on HHS mandate Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Teachers unions angry with Obama staff “sellouts” Jazz Shaw 4 hours ago
- Elite northeastern college town very worried about becoming Ferguson Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 18 hours ago
- Last straw: ObamaCare now ruining baseball Mary Katharine Ham 19 hours ago