That Beyonce apparently lip-synched her beautiful rendition of the national anthem is a triviality. It's cold on the steps of the Capitol and even the greatest singer might have trouble sounding good in those conditions. Kelly Clarkson apparently sang live (and perhaps paid a price in quality). Four years ago, at Obama's first inauguration, a quartet consisting of Yo-Yo Ma, Yitzhak Perlman, Gabriela Montero and Anthony McGill (it sounds...
Should I become inaugurated, I shall have a wind up monkey clanging symbols, beating a drum, and lipsinking "Bah Bah Black Sheep" as the entertainment, and the fashion will be togas(Class aye). I will lead the parade while riding a greased pig side saddle( so as not to reveal-- what is in the bill). We will all recite poetry together by shouting out every word that rhymes with pulpit as a display of our national unity.
In the days since the second Obama inauguration, I've been thinking about Kelly Clarkson and Beyonce. No, not the great lip-synching controversy, but the choice of popular entertainment for a solemn national rite.
- Hensarling: It’s time to end the Ex-Im Bank Ed Morrissey 38 mins ago
- Got room for one more crisis? In Pakistan, protesters threaten government’s stability Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Engel: Military officials “apoplectic” over Obama’s “no-strategy” comment Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago
- The Democratic revolt continues: Key senator calls for Obama to arm Ukraine Noah Rothman 6 hours ago
- Nearly two years after Benghazi, American embassy in Libya’s capital falls to Islamists Noah Rothman 8 hours ago
- “We need a national conversation…” Jazz Shaw 10 hours ago