Matter of historical fact--since conservatives are supposed to be more attuned to history. In New England, witches were hanged, not burned. Burning for witches was a feature of continental rather than English law.
Then how come the Constitution co-existed with state establishments (tax-supported Congregational churches in a couple New England states; Trrinitarian test acts in North Carolina) down to the 1830's?
Expel all Muslims? Does that include Circassians and other Caucasian Mountaineers who fled Soviet rule after WWII, and, until Joker Tsarnaev and his late, unlamented elder brother, lived very quietly and peacefully among us? Or Cham Muslims who fled Communist rule in Viet Nam and Cambodia? I'm all for coming down like a ton of bricks on actual offenders. I'm all for the death penalty in clear cases of murder (even of some lowly convenience store clerk who never ran in a big-city marathon). But bad beliefs, if kept to oneself, are just bad beliefs. I wouldn't even penalize racism, even though my family isn't all-white. Sure, execute the killers of James Byrd. But if someone's just a loudmouth, ignore him. That's how I feel about Islam in America.

America’s Economic Tinderbox

Kepha Wrote: Aug 20, 2014 4:09 PM
I worked abroad a good many years, too, and maybe I should've stayed.

Disposing of Those with Down Syndrome

Kepha Wrote: Aug 20, 2014 4:07 PM
Most Down Syndrome people I've met (admittedly few) are actually friendly and pleasant, if not quite able to maintain a level of conversation that I would like.

Disposing of Those with Down Syndrome

Kepha Wrote: Aug 20, 2014 4:06 PM
And I'm sure in the future our Leagues of the Militant Godless will crow that Evangelicals, observant Catholics, and such like are far, far less intelligent--neglecting to note that it will be such people who are supporting Down Syndrome family members.

Evil Bullies

Kepha Wrote: Aug 18, 2014 5:07 PM
I do not like Islam at all. But if it were only about what women wear, I could care less. The bigger issue is that those who are trying to cram their religions down other people's throats at gunpoint are Muslims: the people making it dangerous to fly are Muslims; the people teaching small kids to strap on suicide vests and blow up some of their peers are also Muslims. Given the triumphalism of Islamic Scripture in which a prophet and his people can't lose (hence the Koran's denial of the crucifixion of Jesus), it is no wonder that the entire Islamic world has been deranged ever since Napoleon invaded Egypt--and perhaps since Jan Sobieski chased the Turks away from Vienna. But i, for one, don't care a fig if a woman wants to cover her head in public and wear long skirts.

The Buddha in the TV Room

Kepha Wrote: Aug 14, 2014 8:41 AM
Over 90% of those "children" are teens, including tattooed gangbangers. Yes, treat these border crossers humanely. But that can also include a kind of decent detention until such time as they can be brought before immigration judges and deported.

Robin Williams: Comedy and Tragedy

Kepha Wrote: Aug 14, 2014 8:37 AM
Observation: The profound words quoted by our Mr. Thomas about poetry were the words of one of Robin Williams' characters (and before that, a script writer or author); not those of the man himself. Considering the amount of self-destructive behavior in actors and the like, could it be that too much effort put into developing the characters of fictitious people may put a crimp in developing one's own character? While I appreciate theater and the arts in general, perhaps people in those fields face a number of demons of which the rest of us are unaware.
I think there's enough respect for minority opinions to allow the non believers to stand respectfully while other people pray. It's a little like the flag salute (I teach in a high school). I have a lot of non-citizen students and kids from Jehovah's Witness households, so I explain that proper etiquette is to stand with arms at side while others recite the pledge. I say this because I have both taught overseas and served as a diplomat, so I know a little about such things.