The reason, we are told, is a change that Republicans have previously rejected but Democrats and Latino groups see as indispensable: a procedure for illegal immigrants to become legal residents and, eventually, citizens. Critics call it "amnesty" and say it will spur illegal immigration as surely as...
One of the many problems we have in our political discourse is the ease with which the media are distracted. So, along with straw men, false dichotomies, etc., we get crisis after crisis. In the case of immigration we are being distracted by the "amnesty" charge. This is really beside the point. Immigration, like free enterprise, is good for the U.S. if allowed to find its natural course. The problem we have is that our generous welfare, food stamps, "Dream Act" tuition rates, "motor voter" laws, and so on ad in finitum, are attracting unproductive people. Just a mere few generations ago immigrants who came here, the "...tired...poor," were brave, intelligent, resourceful people who fled tyranny and poverty for economic opportunity.
To hear opponents tell it, you don't want to be standing along the U.S. border when an immigration reform bill becomes law. Millions of foreigners who were previously content in their native lands will hear about it, pack a bag and storm across the U.S. border, trampling anyone unlucky enough to be in the way.
- Whistleblower cop in Scott Walker accusations paying a heavy price Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 13 hours ago
- Scarborough: A certain network should cover Bridgegate clearing as much as allegations Mary Katharine Ham 14 hours ago
- Remind me again, why isn’t Condi Rice running for president? Allahpundit 14 hours ago
- Following Scotland’s lead: 25% of USA residents open to breaking away Noah Rothman 15 hours ago
- Video: Does watching NFL games make you an ‘enabler’ of domestic violence? Guy Benson 16 hours ago