The reason, we are told, is a change that Republicans have previously rejected but Democrats and Latino groups see as indispensable: a procedure for illegal immigrants to become legal residents and, eventually, citizens. Critics call it "amnesty" and say it will spur illegal immigration as surely as...
One of the many problems we have in our political discourse is the ease with which the media are distracted. So, along with straw men, false dichotomies, etc., we get crisis after crisis. In the case of immigration we are being distracted by the "amnesty" charge. This is really beside the point. Immigration, like free enterprise, is good for the U.S. if allowed to find its natural course. The problem we have is that our generous welfare, food stamps, "Dream Act" tuition rates, "motor voter" laws, and so on ad in finitum, are attracting unproductive people. Just a mere few generations ago immigrants who came here, the "...tired...poor," were brave, intelligent, resourceful people who fled tyranny and poverty for economic opportunity.
To hear opponents tell it, you don't want to be standing along the U.S. border when an immigration reform bill becomes law. Millions of foreigners who were previously content in their native lands will hear about it, pack a bag and storm across the U.S. border, trampling anyone unlucky enough to be in the way.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Meet the laywers defending “campus rapists” Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- Iran executes 967th person under Hassan Rouhani. And it’s a woman Jazz Shaw 4 hours ago
- Chris McDaniel appeal rejected in state supreme court Jazz Shaw 5 hours ago
- Video: Palin-bashing CNN anchor claimed Michelle Obama signed bill into law Ed Morrissey 7 hours ago
- Everything is changing after Ferguson, and it should Jazz Shaw 8 hours ago