The reason, we are told, is a change that Republicans have previously rejected but Democrats and Latino groups see as indispensable: a procedure for illegal immigrants to become legal residents and, eventually, citizens. Critics call it "amnesty" and say it will spur illegal immigration as surely as...
One of the many problems we have in our political discourse is the ease with which the media are distracted. So, along with straw men, false dichotomies, etc., we get crisis after crisis. In the case of immigration we are being distracted by the "amnesty" charge. This is really beside the point. Immigration, like free enterprise, is good for the U.S. if allowed to find its natural course. The problem we have is that our generous welfare, food stamps, "Dream Act" tuition rates, "motor voter" laws, and so on ad in finitum, are attracting unproductive people. Just a mere few generations ago immigrants who came here, the "...tired...poor," were brave, intelligent, resourceful people who fled tyranny and poverty for economic opportunity.
To hear opponents tell it, you don't want to be standing along the U.S. border when an immigration reform bill becomes law. Millions of foreigners who were previously content in their native lands will hear about it, pack a bag and storm across the U.S. border, trampling anyone unlucky enough to be in the way.
- Scarborough: Obama saying he has no strategy against ISIS is a tactic straight out of “The Art of War” Allahpundit 40 mins ago
- Ed Henry goes there: Why is Obama fundraising after admitting he has no ISIS strategy? Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Change: Obama set to delay executive amnesty until after the midterms? Allahpundit 2 hour ago
- End of an era: Chelsea Clinton leaves NBC Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Inside the collapse of Obama’s Syria ‘strategy’ Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Politico, WaPo, ABC: This “no strategy” comment will do serious damage Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago