Many established beliefs about presidential politics have been proved false by Obama's reelection: 1.) The idea that, when unemployment is above 7 percent, incumbents fail; 2.) The notion that incumbent presidents who...
If the GOP had gotten out its vote the way it did in 2004, Romney would have won. But there were too many things wrong. Romney never countered the negative ads straight on with ads of his own, while he was being painted as a heartless plutocrat. It would have been very easy to respond to the dirty ads with the truth behind the stories that were being so distorted, ending with pictures of David Axelrod, Stephanie Cutter and Barack Obama--"Is this the kind of politics we expect from the President of the United States?" The party also hurt itself badly with the way it threw itself on its sword for the rich again. The rich don't need the 35% rate; they didn't care about Obama's increase--so that stand was for nothing.
Even when the economy is terrible, when the incumbent Democratic president has not been able to demonstrate success on job creation or growth, and even when the standard of living for Americans is declining on his watch, the country will choose a Democrat "who cares about the problems of people like me" over the Republican. That alone is enough to make Republican heads spin for some time.
- Boehner gets angry on immigration: When is Obama going to take some responsibility for something? Allahpundit 16 minutes ago
- Conservatives and establishment GOP agree: Don’t impeach Obama Noah Rothman 56 minutes ago
- Democrats plan on making Hobby Lobby their midterm message Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Perry: Border crisis is Obama’s Katrina Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- MSNBC host: These calls for Obama’s impeachment are “treasonous accusations” Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Report: ISIS just seized a bunch of uranium in Iraq Noah Rothman 3 hours ago